cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10G performance on LS1043ARDB-PB

kevinkymdell
Contributor I

Hello,

I have a new (stock) LS1043ARDB-PB dev kit which I am using to test the LS1043A 10Gbe performance.

As a simple out-of-the-box test I connected a 10Gbe NIC on a linux host to the LS1043ARDB-PB using a cat6 cable and ran the iperf server/client applications on the LS1043ARDB-PB and host respectively.

The maximum throughput was measured at: 1.6Gbits/sec.

Changing the MTU of the interface(s) to 9000 using u-boot bootargs had no discernible affect.

A similar test between two linux hosts using the same hardware (NIC + cat6) cable produced ~8.34 8 Gbits/sec with the MTU set to 1500 and 9.88Gbits/sec with the MTU set to 9000.

Given this is a 10Gbe port the performance seems low.  Is there something obvious that can be done to improve this performance?

2 Replies

kevinkymdell
Contributor I

Thanks for the quick response Alexander.

I will try the netperf tests as recommended in the "Benchmark Reproducibility Guides".

Out of interest, I cross compiled the iperf3 utility for the LS1043 as iperf3 (as opposed to iperf 2.05 which is supplied in the v0.5 of the LS1043a Linux SDK) allows one to set the CPU affinity per instance.

Running two instances of iperf3 on two cores did not provide much gain.  Both cores averaged between 50-60% utilisation over a 60 second period with a combined throughput of just under 2Gbits/s.  To be fair this is a 40000 foot view of a quick and dirty test - we'll see how netperf performs.

alexander_yakov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

As far as I can understand, the benchmarking tool you you using is not multicore, and you are simly reaching the performance limit of one core. Please try running several instances of this iperf, hope the result will be more correct.

We do not use this "iperf" tool for network benchmarking. Please refer to "Benchark Reproducibility Guides" section of Linux SDK documentation for example benchmarking setups.

For LS1043A benchmark numbers and reproducibility guide please contact your NXP (or distributor) Field Application Engineer.

Have a great day,
Alexander

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos