Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Errata Description: CPU A-005125 - SPR976 not found

Jump to solution
yepkris
Contributor II

Hi All,

Recently we received an errata (CPU A-005125) from freescale, in which a workaround is given for resolving a system hang issue of e500 core. It is recomended to set SPR976[40:41] to b'10. However, we can not found this register in the PowerPC e500 Core Family Reference Manual.So could anybody please tell me what's the name of this SPR or how can I find it in any datasheet?

What's more, for the system hang, could anybody kindly tell me how to reproduce this issue? Thanks a lot.

-Kris.

Labels (1)
1 Solution
suchit_lepcha
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You are right. The description of SPR976 is not available  in e500v2 manual.This should be done as early as possible. Hence this has to be in the u-boot boot-up stage.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
suchit_lepcha
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The SPR976 is a hidden register in e500v2. Its a rare condition.

yepkris
Contributor II

Hi Suchit,

That is to say we can not find the description of the SPR976 in the specs, right? In this case, is it correct to write b'10 to the SPR976[40:41] in the u-boot boot-up stage? or in the runtime (say, Linux) stage?

Thanks,

-Kris.

0 Kudos
suchit_lepcha
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You are right. The description of SPR976 is not available  in e500v2 manual.This should be done as early as possible. Hence this has to be in the u-boot boot-up stage.

0 Kudos
yepkris
Contributor II

Hi Suchit,

If we try to config this SPR in Linux init stage, will it bring more risks? Because the bootloader we use is not that easy to modify.

-Kris

0 Kudos
suchit_lepcha
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

As the erratum says, the issue may occur while there are some transactions on PCI/PCIe/SRIO bus (for more details, please refer the erratum). If you are confident that there will be no transactions on PCI/PCIe/SRIO bus till Linux comes up, you may choose to apply workaround in Linux.

For example, the u-boot bootloader scans the PCI/PCIe bus and accordingly creates in/out bound windows. The system may hit the erratum if PCI/PCIe transactions start before Linux comes up.

yepkris
Contributor II

Hi Suchit,

Got it. Thx a lot!

-Kris

0 Kudos
murugeshpitchai
Contributor I

Hi Kris,

I am also in  your boat ! Need to implement this bit setting. But as you mentioned I am not able to see the possible way we can define this register in code. I see people have suggested to implement it in u-boot. Could you please elaborate more on this ? Is there no way to define this in code ?

BTW, I am working for a router.

0 Kudos