howto add my kernel defconfig file to yocto

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

howto add my kernel defconfig file to yocto

arno_0
Contributor III

I followed the IMX_PORTING_GUIDE.pdf (pg 11) to add my own defconfig file (imx8mp) . But that doesn't work.

WARNING: linux-imx-5.10.35+gitAUTOINC+ef3f2cfc60-r0 do_fetch: Failed to fetch URL git://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/linux-imx.git;protocol=https;branch=lf-5.10.yfile://custom_defconfig, attempting MIRRORS if available

FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/${PN}:"
SRC_URI_append = "file://custom_defconfig"

and file (custom_defconfig) is located in

imx-linux/files and imx-linux (just to be sure).

So I changed it to

SRC_URI_append = " file://cusom_defconfig" 

(with a space ahead) but that gives me:

WARNING: linux-imx-5.10.35+gitAUTOINC+ef3f2cfc60-r0 do_kernel_metadata: [NOTE]: defconfig was supplied both via KBUILD_DEFCONFIG and SRC_URI. Dropping SRC_URI defconfig
WARNING: linux-imx-5.10.35+gitAUTOINC+ef3f2cfc60-r0 do_kernel_configme: [NOTE]: defconfig was supplied both via KBUILD_DEFCONFIG and SRC_URI. Dropping SRC_URI defconfig

... so it seems do be ignored.

"unset KBUILD_DEFCONFIG"

let the message disappear and gives some warnings about:

WARNING: linux-imx-5.10.35+gitAUTOINC+ef3f2cfc60-r0 do_kernel_configcheck: [kernel config]: specified values did not make it into the kernel's final configuration:

But that doesn't produce smaller kernel/less modules as expected. The linux-imx_5.10.35...bb file is a bit confusing to me, because if its included tasks. I don't know how to handle that. Can you help?

I even tried to set KBUILD_DEFCONFIG in <machine>.conf. But that seems to be ignored.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

arno_0
Contributor III

Good to see I am not allone.

My suspect is that kernel recipe of NXP breaks the usual rules to modify it. I hope that someone can help with that.

0 Kudos

jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

For your information, please read "2.6.2. Creating a defconfig File" in the link below.

https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/3.1/kernel-dev/kernel-dev.html#creating-a-defconfig-file

0 Kudos

arno_0
Contributor III

I did this exactly as stated.

First of all I get the message:

WARNING: linux-imx-5.10.35+gitAUTOINC+ef3f2cfc60-r0 do_kernel_metadata: [NOTE]: defconfig was supplied both via KBUILD_DEFCONFIG and SRC_URI. Dropping SRC_URI defconfig
WARNING: linux-imx-5.10.35+gitAUTOINC+ef3f2cfc60-r0 do_kernel_configme: [NOTE]: defconfig was supplied both via KBUILD_DEFCONFIG and SRC_URI. Dropping SRC_URI defconfig

after "unset KBUILD_DEFCONFIG" (which is set by  to "imx_v8_defconfig" by default) I get a longer warning started by

WARNING: linux-imx-5.10.35+gitAUTOINC+ef3f2cfc60-r0 do_kernel_configcheck: [kernel config]: specified values did not make it into the kernel's final configuration:

[NOTE]: 'CONFIG_LOCALVERSION' last val ("") and .config val ("-lts-5.10.y") do not match
[INFO]: CONFIG_LOCALVERSION : "-lts-5.10.y" ## .config: 21 :configs///defconfig ("")
[INFO]: raw config text:

Is this normal? Anyhow the resulting kernel was large again and many modules has been compiled.

Can you say where in work or work-shared the final ".config" is located which is used for "bitbake virtual/kernel" ?

Thank you.

davidvescovi
Contributor V

I get exactly the same problem!!

There was no way they tested the information in the porting guide or they would have immediately seen the problem.

I also am waiting for a resolution.

The modified defconfig changes never make it in final kernel

0 Kudos

davidvescovi
Contributor V