Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Clock Configurations and Timers

Jump to solution
Jeinstei
Contributor II

Hi-

I noticed that the timer beans seem to be missing something important; while they can be enabled or disabled for different clock configurations, if you do not have "Auto Select Timing" on, the bean begins to throw errors that the initialization value won't work in either one or the other of the configurations.

Has anyone seen this?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
vfilip
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

you are right, but this is current limitation of Processor Expert. It is not possible to select different values for different clock configurations.

Anyway I have passed this request to the development team.

best regards

Vojtech Filip

Processor Expert Support Team

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Jeinstei
Contributor II

The CAN Bus beans have the same problem, as a different bus speed might necessitate different timing segments. Unfortunately, those aren't clock configuration dependent while only the target spesd is.

0 Kudos
vfilip
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

could you please be more specific in order to reproduced the issue? Some screen-shot, project, step-by-step process would be helpful.

best regards

Vojtech Filip

0 Kudos
Jeinstei
Contributor II

I guess I did forget some important facts: we're running CW 10.3.

We have clock config 0 which uses the internal oscillator in FEI at ~76.nnn, with clock config 2 off an external 13 MHz PEE, with associated bus clock speeds of ~34 and 39 MHz respectively (I think those numbers are correct).

What I'm seeing are 2 major bugs.

1) the timer unit bean. Unless auto select is chosen for clock speed selection, the clock config 0 init value (obviously) can't be used as the init value for clock config 1, and an error is generated by PE

2) as we are using multiple bus speeds, the can bus timing parameters change slightly. These are currently not calculated automatically nor tied to a specific clock config, thus the speed setting fails when the clock config changes.

If we're doing something different from how we are expected to use pe, please let us know, but I can't see how to easily switch clock configurations right now.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
vfilip
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

could you please also attach the *.pe file from the project? I was not able to reproduce it from the description.

best regards

Vojtech Filip

0 Kudos
Jeinstei
Contributor II

Vojtech-

The CAN Bus issue is obvious, as there is only one set of timing parameters available regardless of whether or not it is enabled in different clock configurations. Please comment on this.

The timer unit issue can be reproduced as above:

1) set up 2 clock configurations with different bus speeds (ie 36 MHz and 39 MHz) (using a PIT)

2) Open the timing setting window for the counter frequency

3) De-select "Auto Select Timing"

4) There is no way for the initialization value to work for both clock configurations because the bus speed is different in both modes

Auto-select works.

Anyway, I'l attach the file as well.

0 Kudos
vfilip
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

you are right, but this is current limitation of Processor Expert. It is not possible to select different values for different clock configurations.

Anyway I have passed this request to the development team.

best regards

Vojtech Filip

0 Kudos
Jeinstei
Contributor II

Vojtech-

What is the timeline on getting PE fixed to work with multiple clock configurations? Is there any chance on getting a patch issued or providing some guidance on how to fix this ourselves?

Thanks,

Josh E

0 Kudos
vfilip
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

I have passed this request to developers, unfortunately currently there is no plan to implement this functionality in the near future. However as a partial workaround it should be possible to set different values in timing dialog when the “Allowed error” is set to 100%. Details attached.

best regards

Vojtech Filip

0 Kudos
Jeinstei
Contributor II

Vojtech-

I'm having the exact same problem with the I2C Buses. They won't let me set two different init values for each speed configuration, thus giving me an error that won't allow me to generate the code.

What this means is that the CAN Bus and I2C Bus both can't have timing settings that differ based on clock configuration, and clock configurations seem effectively useless as PE is right now.

Can I please get some more information on this issue? What is the ETA on a fix, or do I need to write my own driver for changing the I2C and CAN Bus clocks?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Jeinstei
Contributor II

Vojtech-

Thanks! We'll work something else out then. Glad to know that this is just a missed issue.

0 Kudos