Has antone done a PE component for an LCM-S01602, beleive it uses HD44780 controller.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has antone done a PE component for an LCM-S01602, beleive it uses HD44780 controller.

Jump to solution
Blackdragon
Contributor I

Looking for a PE module for LCM-S01602 or at least the character map.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
0 Kudos
9 Replies
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
0 Kudos
Blackdragon
Contributor I

Thanks Erich just what I was looking for.

Next round of spare time is to learn how to write PE beans.

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
0 Kudos
Blackdragon
Contributor I

Nice tutorial job.

On the LCD "bean" I noticed that when it is added I have multiple data line groups, individuals or IO bank 4/8. Is there a reason and which ones will be active. Need to send pcb to fabrication today.

Thanks, Bill

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi William,

you need at least the E and RS signal pins. The R/W pin only if you want (and can) read from the display. Using the R/W pin makes the interfacing with the display easier (does need to wait/poll until it is ready). The EN (Enable) is only needed if you want to have multiple displays on the same bus.

And then you need the data pins (either 4bit or 8bit): for this you have the option to use either individual pins, or to use the BityIO (but then all the bits needs to be in a single port, like PTA).

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Blackdragon
Contributor I

Erich,

Like the LCDHTA, we have yet to get a display. I have a feeling it is the "compatible" I/F chip. It is an ST7036.Our suspicion is that it does not init the as the 44780. Ideas on where to make changes in the module?

Bill

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Bill,

at a glance, that ST7036 should be compatible with 44780, and the data sheet claims this (well, for the instructions).

If the timing is different, you can do direct modifications in the generated code to try out things.

If timinig is different: set a breakpoint in LCD1_Init() step (over) through the code, line by line. This slows down the initialization. If this works, then the timing very likely needs to be adopted (altough newer HC444780 are less sensitive).

What I usually do is to disable the code generation and change the generated code unit I'm ok with it.

See Disable my Code Generation | MCU on Eclipse how you can disable code generation.

Then have a look at LCD1_Init(): Have a look at Waitms() and Waitus() and change/increase the timing until it fits your needs. If this is your problem and you find better/new timings, I'm happy to incorporate them.

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Blackdragon
Contributor I

Erich, thanks for info.WIlltry when back in office.Found an old optrex, true 44780. Still no joy even though it is a 5V on a K20.

Bill

0 Kudos
Blackdragon
Contributor I

Erich,

That was what I was assuming. Nice setup you did. I have a tendency to port this type of component. Unlike PE, who likes to take the Flexbus and toss it all over the chip.

Again nice job and thank you.

0 Kudos