MPC860TZQ80D4 frequency

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MPC860TZQ80D4 frequency

danybourget
Contributor I

What is the maximum external clock grequency for the MPC860TZQ80D4? Could we use an external clock of 78.6432MHz with this device.

0 Kudos
2 Replies

r8070z
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Have a great day,

You can use 78.6432MHz an external clock of 78.6432MHz for MPC860TZQ80D4 if implements reset configuration for external bus division factor bits (D[13-14]) as it is shown in section “MPC860 Reset Configuration” of the MPC860 manual.

The maximum frequency at which the SPLL is guaranteed to operate is the maximum rated frequency of the part (80MHz for MPC860TZQ80D4). Hence the SPLL can accept 78.6432MHz clock applied to EXTCLK  (MODCK [1–2]=10, MF=1). However the maximum bus speed supported by the MPC860 is 66 MHz. Higher-speed part like MPC860TZQ80D must be operated in half-speed bus mode. I.e. SCCR[EBDF] has to be set to 0b01 (half speed bus) if clock generated by SPLL is higher than 66MHz. If the RSTCONF signal is negated the internal default value is selected and SCCR[EBDF] is cleared by HRESET i.e. the device starts at full speed bus. In this case the hardware specifications for the bus interface will be violated at start while applied clock of 78.6432MHz. So you need to implement reset configuration in order to set SCCR[EBDF]. Or you  can divide 78.6432MHz by 2 and then after reset set 1:2:1 mode as described in the section “CLKOUT Special Considerations: 1:2:1 Mode” in the manual.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

lunminliang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

As the doc description,

"The acceptable frequency range of this input source is defined by:

1. The maximum operating frequency of the MPC860

2. The default SPLL multiplying factor (defined in Section 14.2.2.1, “SPLL Reset

Configuration”)

"

Regards

Lunmin

0 Kudos