MPC8378 watchdog reset problem

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MPC8378 watchdog reset problem

christopherstut
Contributor I

We used the 8377RDB reference design and have upgraded to Linux 4.6 from 2.x. I've discovered that with the standard 83xx watchdog driver, configured to a) do a hardware reset, not machine check exception, and b) to actually not stay alive after the app with /dev/watchdog open stops feeding it (vs. a kthread doing the work):

a reset correctly occurs _except_ during a lot of NAND flash activity.

I see nothing in errata about this, though there is a comment in the nand controller driver about fragility of the nand controller. Basically, if I wipe the JFFS2 partitions in our device, at bootup, when the partitions are mounted, there is some time-consuming partition init going on behind the scenes. If I starve the watchdog in that window (easy with a small, non-standard watchdog period compiled into the driver), a hang occurs instead of a reset; power cycle is required. Ftrace and even top hint that the only thing different about that several second window vs. any other time is nand activity, nand opcodes to the controller, LBC IRQs. Top shows the jffs2 partition garbage collection kthread being busy, and ftrace shows activity within a second of the hang. Ftrace UDPs out its data, so I don't know what I'm missing close to the event: maybe waiting on a nand controller command, maybe not. There is some gigabit activity, but for the duration of the x second window only nand activity is common for each hang.

With machine check exception configured in the watchdog instead of reset, the chip behaves as documented.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Pavel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

It looks like that Linux software watchdog is used in your window. The MPC837x hardware watchdog operates for all processor.

Check the MPC837x HRESET and SRESET signals on your board. The MPC837x watchdog assert HRESET and SRESET. See the Table 4-4 of the MPC8379 Reference Manual.

Have a great day,
Pavel Chubakov

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos