Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IEEE1588 timaestamping availability on PowerQUICC III

N1N1
Contributor I

Hello,

On the folowing page, Freescale says that :

" Some PowerQUICC devices have also added hardware time-stamping to improve the accuracy to +/- 40 ns peak-to-peak. For example, MPC8360E has been publicly demonstrating this capability since April, 2007."

Do you know where to find the list of  PowerQUICC III processors on which this feature is available.

Thanks!

Christophe

3 Replies

abartky
Contributor IV

Christophe,

I also could not find a good document on the Freescale site listing which PowerQUICCs have the hardware timestamping and which do not.

What worked best for me was just doing a search with these keywords: "IEEE 1588 hardware timestamp"

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/search/Serp.jsp?QueryText=ieee+1588+timestamp+etsec&fsrch=1&isAdvanc...

The main thing you need for highest accuracy on the PowerQUICC family is getting a chipset with Hardware timestamping in conjunction with the Freescale enahnced Triple Speed Ethernet Controller (eTSEC).  That engine also has a rules based parsing engine that you can program to assist the software interrupt handler in picking out only those frames that the PTP software cares about as far as reducing CPU cycles by only processing the PTP frames that need to process their hardware based timestamps as they are being received.

I can tell you that I've personally worked with and got IEEE 1588 v1, v2 and IEEE p802.1AS (direct encapsultion, no IP) working on the MPC831x family (in my case 8313 and 8315) and getting actually better than 40ns resolution.  If you drop me a private email via my Freescale account (abartky) I can get you more details.

Hope this helps and best regards,

Alan

keywie007
Contributor I

I developed IEEE1588 project,and found that perhaps there is some error abount eTSEC timestamp on MPC8313E, but i not sure.  my eTSEC link the PHY used RGMII,

when sync time bettween MPC8313E and MPC8313E, the accuracy is ok with there PPS here,but when sync time bettween MPC8313E and other PTP clock,problem happened,

the result:

1000M/full  2~3us

100M/full    500ns

0 Kudos

gouravjain
Contributor IV

Hi Yu zhoh,

I'm also trying to enable IEEE-1588 PTP in our board based on MPC8313e.

But not able to find gianfar_1588.c in MCO8313eRDB package.

Even not able to get any docuements any PTP stack.

Can you pls help me here..

Thanks,

Gourav

0 Kudos