cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 eTSEC on MPC8641-HPCN board

ashishkhetan
Contributor II

Hi,

I have been facing a problem from last 2 weeks with Ethernet on my MPC8641-HPCN based custom board. I Ported Linux 3.0.101 on this board and it is successfully working with only one eTSEC1 while others are not even pinging. In u-boot all 4 eTSECs are working but eTSEC2 and eTSEC3 are working at 100Mbps. we are using the same phy ie vsc8244 in RGMII mode and for each phy interface a separate interrupt is given. So is it a limitation in linux that only one eTSEC port should work(eTSEC1)? or am i misguided ? please through some light on this or Any pointer will be helpfull.

Thanks & Regards

Ashish

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

ashishkhetan
Contributor II

Hi,

Can we configure each ethernet ports in different configuration mode i.e.

eTSEC0----> phy0 ----> RMII

eTSEC1----> phy1 ----> RGMII

eTSEC2----> phy2 ----> RMII

eTSEC3----> phy3 ----> RGMII

As in Reference Manual at page 4-20 it says each ethernet can be configured at POR in MII, GMII, TBI or in FIFO mode.So my question is can we configure all four ports in different Mode?

0 Kudos

ashishkhetan
Contributor II

Did anyone tested all 4 ethernet on HPCN-Board?

0 Kudos

yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Probably this is DTS problem, please refer to the attached dts from the latest SDK.

0 Kudos

ashishkhetan
Contributor II

I tested my board with the dts file you provide... but still it has the same issue. The Only difference between original MPC8641D-HPCN board and our custom board is the interrupts ie

Our custom Designed Board               MPC8641D-HPCN original board

eTSEC0----> phy0 ----> irq0               eTSEC0----> phy0 ----> irq10

eTSEC1----> phy1 ----> irq1               eTSEC1----> phy1 ----> irq10

eTSEC2----> phy2 ----> irq2               eTSEC2----> phy2 ----> irq10

eTSEC3----> phy3 ----> irq3               eTSEC3----> phy3 ----> irq10

Does this matters? Did somebody test all ethernet ports on MPC8641D-HPCN board? Do i have to change in gianfar driver?

0 Kudos

scottwood
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Did you update the device tree to reflect the change in PHY interrupts?  Do you see any error messages from the kernel?  What does Linux think the link status is on those ports?  Since this is a custom board, have you verified that the PHYs are working properly?  You state that eTSEC2 and eTSEC3 are only working at 100 Mbps, suggesting that you expected them to work at 1000 Mbps -- perhaps the same problem is manifesting in different ways in Linux versus U-Boot.  Have you inspected the PHY registers?

0 Kudos

ashishkhetan
Contributor II

Hey Thanks for your reply.... I think i found a solution. and hope may be useful for the guys who may be facing the same issue.

The problem was actually in Device Tree. It was using phy-connection-type<rgmii-id> for all ports which is default in linux source code(ie for HPCN-MPC8641D). Now when I changed it to use phy-connection-type<rgmii> for all ports then its start working..

0 Kudos

ashishkhetan
Contributor II

Thanks for Your reply.. My board is under some hardware updation and at return i will test the board with this dts file.

0 Kudos