cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCA9450CHNY - VDD_SOC resistance to GND

DanielDs
Contributor II

Hi,
I'm using PMIC PCA9450CHNY, during bringing-up tests to the board, I see a relatively low resistance to GND.
20 boards were made as POC and all in the same state, in the 20Ω-15Ω region, between VDD_SOC and GND.
I checked other boards we used in the past with this PMIC, boards that work today also the resistance to GND in this area 30Ω-15Ω.
The PMIC is connected directly to the I.MX8MP. Has anyone else encountered these values? Is this normal?
Picture attached with the design, the measure is between TP92 to GND.

DanielDs_0-1683020216317.png

0 Kudos
7 Replies

DanielDs
Contributor II

Thank you all for the replies, it was very helpful.
Daniel

0 Kudos

JozefKozon
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Daniel,

have you measured the resistance with the i.MX8MP connected to the PMIC? If yes, please disconnect the MCU and please measure only the resistance on one components. To see, if the issue is on the PMIC side or on the i.MX8MP side. I have measured the resistance between the LX1 (TP7) and the GND (LK2, LK3, LK4 and LK5) on a PCA9450AA-EVK. I have measured approximately 70kOhm without anything connected to BUCK1. Please check it on your board without the i.MX connected.

JozefKozon_0-1683026625935.png

With Best Regards,

Jozef

DanielDs
Contributor II

Hi Jozef,
Thanks for your quick reply.
I removed R173 and R338(in the picture attached above) to measure the PMIC only and the resistance changed to ~70KΩ.
So, I tried to measure only the i.MX8MP(with bypass capacitors) and I get around 12Ω.
Is that make sense?

0 Kudos

JozefKozon
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Aaron,

thank you for confirmation. So the PCA9450C is ok. I have contacted an i.MX support team to support you. They will answer you in this community thread if the low resistance finding is ok or the i.MX shouldn't have such a low resistance on the VDD_SOC.

With Best Regards,

Jozef

0 Kudos

DanielDs
Contributor II

Hi, any updates?
Thanks,
Daniel

0 Kudos

riteshmpatel
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @DanielDs,

I had my hands on the i.MX8MP EVK and measured the impedance of the VDD_SOC rail. It was about 16 ohms which is equivalent to the impedance measured by you. So, the impedance value is okay to proceed further.

Thanks & Regards,
Ritesh M Patel

JozefKozon
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Daniel,

I apologize for a late reply. The previous case seems to be lost. I have created a new case #00536197 and moved it to the i.MX box. Please expect the answer from the i.MX support team soon.

Thank you for your patience.

With Best Regards,

Jozef