cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCA9420 - Does the pmic store the i2c configuration into NVM

shai_b
Senior Contributor II

Hello Team,

Could you please advise if the PCA9420 is storing the i2c configuration into Non-volatile memory (NVM) in order to able the PMIC to load with the same configuration every time the device is boot from the power-off stage without the need for an external MCU to configure it every boot?

Waiting for your kind response, Thanks.

BR

Shai

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

guoweisun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

One solution:

In the PCA9420 datasheet page20-Table 6. I2C Slave Address:

Bit 4 should be reserved as MTP option, with its default value set as “0” but can be
trimmed to “1” when needed.

You can contact with local NXP distributors for request this operation on PMIC address modify setting.

Other solution:

Connect with PCA9540B between IIC master and  two PMIC-PCA9420,you can select each slavers(PCA9420s)

https://www.nxp.com.cn/docs/en/data-sheet/PCA9540B.pdf

0 Kudos

shai_b
Senior Contributor II

Hi @guoweisun,

Thanks for your inputs, regards the reserved bit4 I've talked with the business unit (you can refer at PCA9420 - changing BIT4 of the I2C address to able to run two devices in parallel ) and they told me that NXP factory could not change/trimmed the bit4 any more...

About the I2C extender, unfortunately, has a huge footprint (3x2mm) and will not fit into their tiny design, could you please suggest an i2c extender with a much smaller package such as a wafer scale?

Thanks in advance 

Kind regards,

Shai

0 Kudos

guoweisun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Unfortunately we don't have CSP footprint for IIC switch/multiplexers.

0 Kudos

guoweisun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

If set this PMIC by IIC ,after reset this PMIC then the previously set register content can't be remained.

0 Kudos

shai_b
Senior Contributor II

@guoweisun hello,

Thanks for your inputs, could you please advise if there is any way to preserve the parameters even after reset?

The customer plans to use two PCA9420 per system and since there is only one i2c address available, he needs to configure one PMIC without the MCU somehow, can you please suggest a solution? 

Waiting for your kind response, Thanks in advance.

BR,

Shai

0 Kudos