cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OTP configuration in FS85

haby_a
Contributor II

Hi NXP team,

For FS85 PMIC, Is it possible to configure the following OTP registers through FS85 driver during init :

1. WD_SELECTION bit of OTP_CFG_ASIL register for challenger mode

2.  FLT_RECOVERY_EN bit of  OTP_CFG_I2C register for disabling the fault recovery strategy

3. Autoretry_infinite   and   Autoretry_en bits of OTP_CFG_SM_2 register 

If not how these OTP registers shall be configured?

Regarding point3 : Will the FS85 move to DEEP_FS when fault error counter reaches maximum?

(According to FS85 data sheet, Exit of DEEP-FS mode is only possible by WAKE1 = 0 or after 4 s if the autoretry feature
is activated by OTP_Autorety_en bit. The number of autroretry can be limited to 15 or infinite depending on OTP_Autoretry_infinite bit.)

So after recovering from DEEP_FS when wake1 = 1, the main state machine will start transition to normal mode. I would like to know the state to which FS_state machine will transit or in other words how will FS_state machine behave?

(Note :The FS85 is connected to MCU for watchdog purpose)

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Haby,

Fail-safe OTP_REGISTERS registers cannot be changed later during the INIT_FS phase.

From Main OTP_REGISTERS, only regulators behavior in case of TSD, VPRE and VBOOST slew rate parameters can be changed later as shown in the FS84/85 Datasheet rev. 3.1 and below.

pastedImage_2.png

So to answer your questions in detail:

1. No. The Watchdog mode (Simple or Challenger) cannot be changed later during the INIT_FS phase.

FS85 watchdog must be configured to "Challenger WD" by OTP (WD_SELECTION = 1) for ASIL C or D safety applications.

During the INIT_FS phase the MCU can configure the Watchdog monitoring using the FS_I_WD_CFG

register:

• Watchdog Error Counter Limit with WD_ERR_LIMIT[1:0] bits
  • Watchdog Refresh Counter Limit with WD_RFR_LIMIT[1:0] bits
  • Watchdog impact on RSTB and FS0B with WD_FS_IMPACT[1:0] bits

The Watchdog Window Period and Watchdog Window Duty Cycle can be changed not only during the INIT_FS phase, but also later during the Normal mode.

2. No. The Fault recovery strategy cannot be changed later during the INIT_FS phase.

If the FS85 is used in combination with NXP S32x 16nm MCU and the FCCU monitoring is enabled, the FS85 Fault Recovery feature should be enabled by OTP using FLT_RECOVERY_EN OTP bit to benefit from the MCU Fault recovery strategy.

3. No. Both Autoretry_infinite and Autoretry_en cannot be changed later during the INIT_FS phase.

When the Fault Error Counter reaches its maximum value, the FS85 goes to Deep Fail-Safe phase if it is activated by OTP.  

A few more words about OTP configuration:

- It is system integrator's responsibility to define the OTP configuration desired for its safety application. 

- Only A0 parts are non-programmed OTP configurations. They can be programmed using the KITFS85SKTEVM programming board (UM11183) or KITFS85FRDMEVM evaluation board (UM11157). However, this is only for debug and development to find/evaluate the optimal configuration. Final OTP programming for parts in production can be requested either from NXP or some distributors depending on the volume.

- There are several pre-programmed OTP configurations available as shown in the datasheet (Table 2).

Best regards,

Tomas

PS: If my answer helps to solve your question, please mark it as "Correct" or “Helpful”. Thank you.

haby_a
Contributor II

Thanks Tomas.

Please help me with this question as well

Final OTP programming for parts in production can be requested either from NXP or some distributors depending on the volume. Does this mean during the production of IC, the configuration of OTP registers need to be done ? 

Also I would like to know, after recovering from DEEP_FS when wake1 = 1, the main state machine will start transition to normal mode. I would like to know the state to which FS_state machine will transit or in other words how will FS_state machine behave?

0 Kudos

TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Haby,

Yes, NXP or selected distributors must do the OTP programming for parts in production. OTP programming by customers (typically using the KITFS85SKTEVM) is allowed only for engineering purpose during development to validate the OTP configuration.

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_4.png

As for your second question, I need to double check it with the design team, but it should be the same as the typical power up phase. When the ABIST1 is done, RSTB and PGOOD pins are released and the initialization of the device is opened for another new 256 ms.

Best regards,

Tomas

0 Kudos

haby_a
Contributor II

Dear Tomas,

Is it possible to read the OTP registers during run time?

Regards

Haby

0 Kudos