Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Determining ASIL-level of populated SBC via microcontroller

Jump to solution
Joey_van_Hummel
Contributor III

Hi,

We are designing a product using the MC33FS4500 series SBC. These SBC's are available in both ASIL-B and ASIL-D level, most notably the ASIL-B variant does not require the LFSR calculation for WD_ANSWER. We require ASIL-D for our application.

The ASIL-B and ASIL-D parts are pin-compatible and I was wondering: if an ASIL-B part was accidentally populated instead of an ASIL-D part, could software reliably detect this? DEVICE_ID_FS and DEVICE_ID seem unusable for this goal. Maybe DEV_REV is usable, but this field is not documented in detail.

Of course, we can refresh the watchdog with an erroneous WD_ANSWER write and see how the error counter responds, but I'd like to have a more robust solution.

Kind regards,

Joey

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Joey,

Yes, DEV_REV bits can be used to distinguish between ASIL-B and ASIL-D parts.

• For ASIL-D, DEV_REV = 010;
  • For ASIL-B, DEV_REV = 111;

Usually, their actual values are mentioned in the ‘Revision History’ subsection of the datasheet, but we missed to implement it in the ASIL-B datasheet.

Best regards,

Tomas

View solution in original post

2 Replies
TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Joey,

Yes, DEV_REV bits can be used to distinguish between ASIL-B and ASIL-D parts.

• For ASIL-D, DEV_REV = 010;
  • For ASIL-B, DEV_REV = 111;

Usually, their actual values are mentioned in the ‘Revision History’ subsection of the datasheet, but we missed to implement it in the ASIL-B datasheet.

Best regards,

Tomas

Joey_van_Hummel
Contributor III

Hi Tomas,

Thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Kind regards,

Joey

0 Kudos