Design issues with KIT33810 EVAL Board

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design issues with KIT33810 EVAL Board

meaton
Contributor I

Looking at the KIT33810 Eval board schematics and BOM, it becomes apparent that the ESD filter capacitors on the Ignition Coil outputs (10nF) and feedback monitoring lines (10pF) are all 50V rated. The IGBT's driving the ignition coils are self clamping at 430V.

I would imagine that if anyone actually powers up this board and uses it in anger, all the protection caps will blow. They should be at least 500V rated.

The 36k feedback monitoring resistors ARE 500V rated. For some reason, nothing else is.

The fact that the 10pF caps are 0805, suggests someone meant for them to be high voltage, but apparently these didn't get into the BOM.

In a similar vein, the protection diodes on the indicator LEDs are 400V rated. Marginal at best.

0 Kudos
1 Reply

reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

I agree with you, NXP should have a at least 500V rated capacitors on the ESD filter capacitors on the Ignition Coil outputs and feedback monitoring lines as well as the protection diodes on the indicator LED selection should be improved. I’ll send these comments to the applications team to see if we can correct this for the next documentation revision.

Jose,
NXP Semiconductors

0 Kudos