board is unable to boot

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

board is unable to boot

yihangtay
Contributor I

Hi I was trying out booting from SPI by switching the pins on SW1. The ethernet port lights started blinking rapidly, I assume this is because there is no SPI u-boot burned into the SPI flash. However, after resetting the board, I find that I am unable to boot the board up at all. I am unable to use either the hardcoded RCW or the NOR flash RCW or even the BDI3000 JTAG to boot up the board.

The ASLEEP LED is constantly switched on, signifying that the board does not finish booting. I have not changed any other settings on the board. Does anyone know why this is the case?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies

lunminliang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Do you use P2041RDB board?  If you confirm there is no uboot image, please program that into eSPI flash. You can refer to SDK\start_here.html, Boot up from eSPI/SD/NAND on Corenet DS Boards

0 Kudos

yihangtay
Contributor I

Ah yes perhaps i didn't make it clear enough. I do use the p2041rdb reference board but the issue is that I am unable to do anything on the board now. Even the previously working uboot and kernel image from nor flash now cannot be booted up. Attempts to use jtag to flash another copy into the flash failed as the cores cannot enter debug. Changing the bank back to the primary bank does not work either. I checked that i selected the correct memory device to boot from.

Thanks for your assistance!

0 Kudos

lunminliang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Maybe nor flash content is corrupt. Hard code option is not very well tested. When you can not enter debug by using JTAG, try the JTAG file to override your RCW, please refer to Section "Setting a Remote System to Use a JTAG Configuration File" and "A.2 Using JTAG Configuration File to Override RCW" in document "Targeting_PA_Processors.pdf" in your CW installation directory C:\Program Files\Freescale\CW PA v10.x\PA\Help\PDF.

0 Kudos

paulgan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Tay. Had you tried to use hard code setting (rcw_src=11000)? Is it asleep, too?

Another solution is that you may try SD boot. Please set the correct rcw whatever SD/SPI boot.

A wrong rcw may cause a over-spec frequency, it maybe demage the silicon. I hope you do not encount the case.

0 Kudos

yihangtay
Contributor I

Hi,

Yes I have attempted to use the hard coded settings rcw_src = 11000 and 10010. It still does not boot up. I can possibly try SD boot but you are saying that there might be damage to the silicon? I have not used any other rcw other than the ones provided in the SDK. Could it be possible that the CPLD code is corrupted?

0 Kudos

marius_grigoras
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Do you have any news about this? You resolved the issue?

I made the board support for this board some time ago for CodeWarrior and as far I remember if the RCW gets corrupted the board enters in a very strange state. The only possibility to recover the board was to power off and then power on and then try to connect using CodeWarrior and the jtag file for P2041RDB. After this you'll get #core not responding error and must repeat the steps again starting with power off the board.

After will be able to enter in debug mode using CodeWarrior, you can use Flash Programmer feature to re-write the RCW in the NOR flash.

Regards,

Marius

0 Kudos

yihangtay
Contributor I

Hi marius,

Thanks for the input. I'll go and try what you said. However during the last few weeks of testing, nothing really worked, even the hard coded rcw. This leads me to think that perhaps the whole board is dead. We have decided to purchase another board for testing due to tight scheduling

0 Kudos

yihangtay
Contributor I

unfortunately the workaround does not work. Thanks for the input though.

0 Kudos

paulgan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

could you let me know your email address? I can send you a workable SD image.

0 Kudos