cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P4080 and/or P2020 and MSC8xxx DSP for transcode

corbysable
Contributor I

Hello forum,

I am interested in using a Freescale boards for live streaming video transcode development,

Do you have specific experience with the following 2 boards?

1) P2020 and MSC8156 as an Advanced MC reference design.

link   P2020-MSC8156 AdvancedMC™ Reference Design Product Summary Page

2) 3-MSC-8256 Development Tool

link:  P2020-MSC8156 AdvancedMC™ Reference Design Product Summary Page

3) Please state if another P4080 based board is available to perform real time H.264 transcoding (encoding and decoding) and scaling

I assume the AMC onboard P2020 is used to manage the DSPs and/or packet processing and/or manage the onboard switching/routing of data on the AMC board.

Which board will meet requirements of H.264 transcoding (encoding and decoding) and scaling, where processing requirements are to perform simultaneous real time transcoding of two video streams by the board.  One stream is encoded H.264 and then sent over an ethernet link.  The second stream is ingest to the board and decoded.

Which board is most efficient and is the best choice?    Is support available from Freescale for Wind River Linux since its installed on Emerson Networks and Advantech blade products, which use the P2020 and P4080 processors.

Thanks,

Corby

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

lunminliang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

It's recommended to use StarCore DSP for transcode, you are right that "I assume the AMC onboard P2020 is used to manage the DSPs and/or packet processing and/or manage the onboard switching/routing of data on the AMC board".

Video codecs software to complete the solution, optimized for StarCore DSP is available from Tata Elxsi. Please click here for detail information on available CODECS and license: http://www.tataelxsi.com/htmls/pds/pds_multimedia-freescale.html

0 Kudos

corbysable
Contributor I

Hello Lumin,

Thank you for the software link regarding Starcore software.

Can I purchase from Freescale the board version, P2020- MSC8156 containing only one DSP and only one P2020??

As an option, is a SDK available from Freescale for the Starcore?

Is this board fully functional to perform DPI and DPAA?  Or is a better choice the P2020, P2041 or P4080 RDB boards for security, DPI, DPAA, etc?

Thanks very much for your help!

Corby

0 Kudos

lunminliang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You can check the available board from freescale website: www.freescale.com, search the orderable part.

There is no SDK for StarCore from freescale, the available IDE from freescale is CodeWarrior for StarCore, and SDOS which is the operating system for StarCore containing in CodeWarrior. I am afraid P2020 is non-DPAA.

0 Kudos

corbysable
Contributor I

Hi Lumin,

Thanks for listing items.  But I am new to SDK and other factors.  Is a SDK part of the IDE?  What is the difference?

I never saw any literature specifying "SDOS" operating system?  What is the difference between SDOS and Linux?  I understood that Linux ran on all Freescale boards.  Is this correct?  What is the function of Code Warrior?

I am very interested in this P2020 and 8156 DSP processors.  Can this board be used as a development board?

Please help me get started.  A "To Do" list of software items would be what I need.

Thanks

0 Kudos

corbysable
Contributor I

Hello Lumin,

I looked at the Tata website for software codecs.  But this company is overseas.  I prefer a local company to the USA for easier communications by phone.

Would you recommend other companies?  and have you seen my May 3rd questions?

link of Tata:  PDS - Multimedia

0 Kudos

lunminliang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Unfortunately, I am afraid this is the only company I know for this.

0 Kudos