Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P1010RDB and Gigabit Networking

Jump to solution
yensid
Contributor III

Hi,

I have a P1010RDB and a custom PCB based on the RDB both with the Vitesse vsc8641xko phy chip using SDKv1.5.  I have been unable to obtain a gigabit connection to either board, which is a requirment for us. I have tried connecting directly from the RDB to a laptop with gigabit and through a gigabit switch ,both using cat 6 cable, but the RDB and our PCB will only connect with a 100/Full connection.

Thinking there was a driver issue I looked in U-boot and found support for the vsc8641 in U-boot. I did not find support specifically for the vsc8641 in the kernel, the chip is not listed the vitesse.c file. Since there is a network connection there must be another, possiblely generic, driver controlling the chip?

Is the lack a specific driver the issue? Or is this more of a speed negotiation issue?

Thanks for your ideas! I can provide any info needed I'm just not sure what would be helpful at this point.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello yensid,

According to your Kernel boot log, eTSEC1 is also detected as 100M in u-boot, and I verified your Kernel configuration, no problem on my target board.

Auto negotiation is a function of the PHY, so on your target, please make sure PHY responds to management cycles and detects and handles the link correctly.

The software could read the negotiated speed via the management interface.

Please refer and check the following registers for RGMII mode, please refer to P1010RM for details.

MACCFG[IF_Mode]      ECNTRL[R100M]

1G        10                                x

100M    01                            1

In addition, please use the demo board P1010RDB to do verification in your network environment, vsc8641 PHY is also use on P1010RDB RGMII. The testing team also uses 1G network environment, so P1010RDB should work normally. If necessary, you could use prebuilt images on P1010RDB.

Have a great day,
Yiping

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello yensid,

Would you please provide u-boot, kernel log files, and the result of "ethtool" command?

If you didn't use default Kernel configuration file, please also provide the Kernel config file.

Have a great day,
Yiping

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
yensid
Contributor III

Hi Yiping,

I'm using a custom configuration file along with the minimal image, setup as a ramdisk since we do not have a hdd like the P1010RDB.  I added ethtool to the build. 

Since I now have ethtool I tried to manually force the connection to gigabit, this resulted in no connection.

Is logging system information excluded when fsl-image-minimal or ramdisk is used? I only have messages in var/logs. If you know how to enabling logging let me know and I'll get it running. Other information is attached.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello yensid,

According to your Kernel boot log, eTSEC1 is also detected as 100M in u-boot, and I verified your Kernel configuration, no problem on my target board.

Auto negotiation is a function of the PHY, so on your target, please make sure PHY responds to management cycles and detects and handles the link correctly.

The software could read the negotiated speed via the management interface.

Please refer and check the following registers for RGMII mode, please refer to P1010RM for details.

MACCFG[IF_Mode]      ECNTRL[R100M]

1G        10                                x

100M    01                            1

In addition, please use the demo board P1010RDB to do verification in your network environment, vsc8641 PHY is also use on P1010RDB RGMII. The testing team also uses 1G network environment, so P1010RDB should work normally. If necessary, you could use prebuilt images on P1010RDB.

Have a great day,
Yiping

0 Kudos
yensid
Contributor III

Hi Yiping,

Thanks for your reply.  The information is helpful and has led me to find a potential hardware issue.  I'm waiting for changes to see if it resolves the issue.

0 Kudos