Is there a PHY attached to VSC7385 on P1020RDB?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a PHY attached to VSC7385 on P1020RDB?

bilalwasim
Contributor II

I've been working with P1020RDB for sometime now. For the eTSEC1 device, there's VSC7385 switch attached to it. As far as I can get, there should be a PHY attached to the switch. However, I'm never ever getting link status UP. Can someone clarify if there's a PHY attached to VSC7385?

Thanks,

5 Replies

ufedor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

> As far as I can get, there should be a PHY attached to the switch.

Your assumption is not correct.

The VSC7385 is a 5-port Integrated Gigabit Ethernet Switch SoC with integrated Copper PHYs.

bilalwasim
Contributor II

Ya, there's a PHY attached to the interface, but I'm currently unable to get it to work. What I want to do is that the PHY polls the link status register to check whether or not the link is UP, but the link status register doesn't seem to respond. It seems to remain UP (or DOWN) by default, and doesn't change status when I connect/disconnect the wire. Could be a problem with the BSP I'm using. Other possibility is the hardware limitation. But I haven't been able to find any evidence of that anywhere.

0 Kudos

ufedor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Which BSP is used?

Is the VSC7385 microcode loaded?

0 Kudos

bilalwasim
Contributor II

Well its proprietary BSP, and I can't comment on that. I don't understand what you mean by VSC7385 microcode? I'm just a beginner and oblivious to most of the jargon.

0 Kudos

ufedor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

> I don't understand what you mean by VSC7385 microcode? I'm just a beginner

Normal operation of the VSC7385 is impossible without externally loaded microcode.

Please download NXP/Freescale Linux SDK 1.9 for e500v2 core to make yourself familiar with this.

0 Kudos