Is it possible to distinguish Power-On-Reset from other resets (e.g. watchdog) on P1012? I am looking for some register similar to MPC8270's od MPC5554's RSR.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to distinguish Power-On-Reset from other resets (e.g. watchdog) on P1012? I am looking for some register similar to MPC8270's od MPC5554's RSR.

Jump to solution
martinklonfar
Contributor I

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
LPP
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

In general, it is not possible to determine the reason of hard reset. P1012 provide several status registers in Global Utilities block (P1021RM Chpter 20). Though, hard reset is the equivalent of a POR and it clears all the reset status bits.

Software could determine the source of hard reset request as a preliminary if the board system logic doesn't assert (or postpone) HRESET in responce to HRESET_REQ.

If a reset is applied to individual core (not SOC HRESET) then it is possible to determine the source in GUT registers (GUTS_MCPSUMR,GUTS_AUTORSTSR,GUTS_RSTRSCR).

Have a great day,
Pavel

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
LPP
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

In general, it is not possible to determine the reason of hard reset. P1012 provide several status registers in Global Utilities block (P1021RM Chpter 20). Though, hard reset is the equivalent of a POR and it clears all the reset status bits.

Software could determine the source of hard reset request as a preliminary if the board system logic doesn't assert (or postpone) HRESET in responce to HRESET_REQ.

If a reset is applied to individual core (not SOC HRESET) then it is possible to determine the source in GUT registers (GUTS_MCPSUMR,GUTS_AUTORSTSR,GUTS_RSTRSCR).

Have a great day,
Pavel

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
jeypatel
Contributor I

I am using freescale p1020rdb(mpc85xx Arch) board and for watchdog I am using booke watchdog kernel driver.

I want to verify that the board is reset due to "POR" or "Watchdog triggered reset"?

From the reference manual I thought  GUTS_MCPSUMR, GUTS_AUTORSTSR, GUTS_RSTRSCR register should contain the reset reason, however when I printed in  Uboot source code, it was 0 after reset.

How can i find out the reason of the status register not updating.

I am wondering where and how these registers are getting reset???

Am i missing something or need to enable anything else for status register?

Can someone guide me to figured out to verify reset cause in uboot?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos