cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ptn5150A usb 3.2 connection fail

gady
Contributor I

Hello,

i have 2 cards , one of them is Host who is connected to PC and the second is Device that connect a camera to it. i use on both modules the chip PTN5150A to connect between them via a cable of HDBAST , and cables type C.

the problem is that the chip on Device is not working , it don't recognize the Host so i don't have connection of the camera to pc.

i attach her the block diagram and the schematic.

0 Kudos
8 Replies

gady
Contributor I

Hello Jozef,

thank you for the help you give.

i have only one issue : the PTN5150A don't recognized connection with camera in mode DFP or DRP

- pin 3 (port) and pin 5 (ADR) are floating

- pin 4 (Vbus_det) are connected to resistor 1M to VDD 

sop i don't have connection with USB3.2

0 Kudos

JozefKozon
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Gady,

please see below an answer from the application engineer. 

DESCRIPTION

- pin 3 (port) and pin 5 (ADR) are floating

[A] This is fine

- pin 4 (Vbus_det) are connected to resistor 1M to VDD 

[A] this might not be a good idea. My question is, for the device, the board needs to provide VBUS power to the device.  How is this done?  Is there a source FET here to output 5V VBUS to the device side’s Type-C.  I don’t see that part of the schematics.

Even we are using PTN5150 in DRP mode, the state machine still look at the VBUS voltage.  So pin 4 should connect to a resistor 1M to VBUS.  You can’t tie it to VDD all the time.  (VBUS is only turned on when there is connection, and VBUS should be off when there is no connection.

With Best Regards,

Jozef

0 Kudos

gady
Contributor I

Hello Jozef,

i connected pin 4 to VBUS of the connector and steel it don't work.

i let the pin 4 floating and now i recognized the camera in DFP mode but i don't think that it's ok.

if you can , i need application note of DFP mode how to connect pin 4 because now is floating and it's work and when i connect him to VBUS of USB it don't work but i don't think it's ok.

thank you,

0 Kudos

JozefKozon
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Gady,

please see an answer from the application engineer.

DESCRIPTION

You need a load switch to turn on turn off the VBUS, in reference to the schematics attached, ou will need to have

1. U2 – load switch to turn on/off the VBUS based on time of connection
  2. U3 – logic to enable/disable the load switch (currently, logic is based on CON_DET && /USB2_ID

Hope this helps.

With Best Regards,

Jozef

0 Kudos

JozefKozon
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Gady,

I have sent your reply to the application engineer. As soon as he answers me, I will definitely reply to you.

Thank you for your patience. 

With Best Regards,

Jozef

0 Kudos

gady
Contributor I

Hello Jozef,

according the datasheet of PTN5150A the pn ADR must be floating or mid so i can use him to be output and get indication if there is connection.

about the OM13584 i see the schematic as a reference but it's for type-c to type-a, in this case it's work. my problem is the connection of type-c to type-c (host and device has type-c connector and the same chip). pin PORT in host is connected to PULL-DOWN (UFP) and the device the pin PORT is connected to PULL-UP (DFP) and i don't have a connection between him/

thank you,

0 Kudos

JozefKozon
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Gady,

please see below an answer from an application engineer I have contacted.

DESCRIPTION

The problem is that the chip on Device is not working , it don't recognize the Host so I don't have connection of the camera to pc.

[A] Customer will need to change the device board’s PTN5150 PORT pin to pull high (to make if DFP, so it can detect a device plug into the port) – if not possible to change to pull up, then at least leave it as floating (remove the pull down resistor R61 ) , then PTN5150 will work as DRP mode, and still able to detect the camera.

According the datasheet of PTN5150A the pin ADR must be floating or mid so I can use him to be output and get indication if there is connection.

[A] THAT’S correct.  Since I don’t see customer use I2C, then they should not pull up or pull down the ADR pin.  (and by the way, you can’t pull up R57 to VBUS level.  It is not correct)

JozefKozon_0-1701062489134.png

About the OM13584 I see the schematic as a reference but it's for type-c to type-a, in this case it's work. my problem is the connection of type-c to type-c (host and device has type-c connector and the same chip). pin PORT in host is connected to PULL-DOWN (UFP) and the device the pin PORT is connected to PULL-UP (DFP) and I don't have a connection between him/

[A] I don’t understand this part of the problem.  “pin PORT in host is connected to PULL-DOWN (UFP) and the device the pin PORT is connected to PULL-UP (DFP)” -> this is correct.

-> “I don't have a connection between him/”  -> not sure what this means here.

With Best Regards,

Jozef

0 Kudos

JozefKozon
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Gad,

I suppose you want to use a non-I2C mode. In this case, the ADR pin must be floating during power up. Please refer to the section 7.5 in the PTN5150A datasheet

Please consider purchasing OM13584 for evaluation. You can take the OM13584 schematic as a reference. 

With Best Regards,

Jozef

0 Kudos