Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB cable detection to switch signals from module to connector

Dan1111
Contributor III

Hi,

Background

I have an application where a USB port is routed to an M.2 connector through a switch that allows the same USB port to connect to a USB-C connector for OTG applications. I'd like to have the switch move the USB connection from the M.2 connector to the USB-C connector when a cable is detected in the USB-C connector, without involvement from the processor, which may not be flashed yet.

Problem

However, PTN5150AHXMP doesn't seem to support the non-I2C CON_DET output when in Dual Role (DRP) mode. Is that true? If so, how else could I get a GPO output for cable detection which can be tied to a select pin of some USB2.0&USB3.0 switch?

Does NXP/Nexperia have a USB2.0&USB3.0 switch that matches this description? I couldn't find one, but I found a few from other vendors.

Other Notes

I haven't chosen a USB2.0&USB3.0 switch yet, but on the USB-C side I have PTN5150AHXMP for USB-C logic, CBTL02043ABQ for the USB-C cross switching, and probably NX20P3483UK for power (may not support enough current).

Block Diagram

Dan1111_0-1722929954242.png

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Dan1111
Contributor III

I could add positive and GND biasing to hold it at a mix point, but what is that pins drive strength?

And is it push/pull?

0 Kudos

Dan1111
Contributor III

Thanks Erica,

That's good to hear!

How do you hold the CON_DET/Address pin at mid level or floating during power up so that it can be used as CON_DET.

The OM13584 EVK uses 2x N-Channel FETs (NXP NX3020NAKS) but if noise is induced on the CON_DET signal, couldn't it end up briefly driving the FETs and causing the switch in my application to flicker between USB-C connector and M.2 Module?

Are there internal bias resistors on the CON_DET pin within the package to hold it at mid voltage? I don't think the datasheet mentions any, or maybe I just missed it.

Kind regards,
Dan

0 Kudos

ErikaC
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

In DRP mode, the PTN5150A can operate without using the I2C interface. So, for your question PTN5150AHXMP supports the non-I2C CON_DET output when in Dual Role (DRP) mode.

We have an evaluation board that includes a PTN5150A and the NX5P3090 switches (plus a PTN36043 which you will not be using). 
You can see in the user manual that it uses USB-2 D+ and D- signals from the C connector, the CC lines can be managed by the PTN5150A without the need of I2C (as in the default case of the application board), and it have two NX5P3090, one as a sink and the other as a source.

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/user-guide/PTN5150A-RM.pdf

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos