U-boot 2019.04 is hanging on i.MX8MQ based reference board

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U-boot 2019.04 is hanging on i.MX8MQ based reference board

yogeshbabu_khot
Contributor I

We are facing issue in DDR bring-up of 2019.04 version where the U-boot is hanging while doing 4GB DDR initialization.

• DDR Calibration for 4GB
  • imx8mq_evk.h modifications required for changing DDR size to 4GB (EVK has 3GB DDR) (Attached is a patch for the same)

With the above 2 steps, the U-boot version 2018.03 is working fine however, 2019.04 U-boot is hanging. Please find attached U-boot logs for the same and the DDR calibration image that I have used and the patch that we have used for 4GB DDR change.

0 Kudos
5 Replies

yogeshbabu_khot
Contributor I

Hi ,

Thank you for the response.

1. The MMC parts are different because one was from eMMC and one is from uSD card. I double-checked on my setup with eMMC as well we are getting the same hang.
  2. Yes, I was thinking the same regarding the 2019.04 that new patch should not be required as 3GB LPDDR4 is already working there. So any lpddr4_* related patches should not be required.
  • Regarding the RPA tool, I have taken the latest version RPA_Tool_v24 only for doing the calibration process and done the recompilation of U-boot.
0 Kudos

yogeshbabu_khot
Contributor I

Dear Sir,

As per your suggestion, I have compiled the U-boot of imx_v2020.04_5.4.24_2.1.0 and applied the patch for 4GB and I am getting a proper U-boot prompt. However, I am getting the attached crash in the kernel.

Please find attached the U-boot patch and detailed logs (crash_logs.txt) that I am getting.

Patches over U-boot

1) Patch for 4 GB configuration => 0001-uBoot-Add-4GB-DDR-memory-support.patch

2) 4GB DDR settings (Generated with the RPA_v24) => lpddr4_timing.c

Regards

Yogesh

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

seems this patch should be implemented in board_get_usable_ram_top()

https://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/uboot-imx/tree/common/board_f.c?h=imx_v2019.04_4.19.35_1....

~igor

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Yogesh

for that version patch is not needed, as it is already included in release.

Recommended to try latest RPA tool from link

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors-Knowledge-Base/i-MX-8M-Family-DDR-Tool-Release/ta-p/110...

First try to build image without OpTee as described in sect.5.6.10 OP-TEE enablement

i.MX Yocto Project User’s Guide​

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos