cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tool chain for the TWR-MPC5125

Jump to solution
daren
Contributor II

What are people using for a tool chain on the TWR-MPC5125?  I purchased one so I could test a Linux application on a Big Endian system, but finding a cross compiler has proven more difficult than I expected.  Freescale doesn't seem to offer anything besides Code Warrior (which runs $995 as far as I can tell).  They also tell me to talk to Timesys, but Timesys says that the MPC5125 has entered into "LinuxLink Classic" support, which basically means I'll have to enter into a paid contract for support and possibly even the tools.  LimeOS doesn't seem to have anything and I'm not sure where else to turn.  I have a board, but am not really sure what I can do with it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

1 Solution
daren
Contributor II

I downloaded the following files:

• eldk-eglibc-i686-powerpc-toolchain-gmae-5.3.sh
  • powerpc.sha256
  • target.conf
  • install.sh

Then I installed them by doing the following:

$ mkdir eldk-download
$ cd eldk-download
$ mkdir -p targets/powerpc
$ wget ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/eldk/5.3/install.sh
$ cd targets/powerpc
$ wget ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/eldk/5.3/targe...pc/target.conf
$ wget ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/eldk/5.3/targe...in-gmae-5.3.sh
$ wget ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/eldk/5.3/targe...powerpc.sha256
$ sha256sum -c armv7a.sha256
eldk-eglibc-i686-powerpc-toolchain-gmae-5.3.sh: OK
target.conf: OK
$ cd ../..
$ chmod a+x install.sh
$ ./install.sh -s gmae -r - powerpc

That resulted in 'gmae' selected as the cross compiler toolchain and 'none' selected as the root file system (I'm using LimeOS on the development board).

Then I cross-compiled "Hello World" with the following:

$ source opt/eldk-5.3/powerpc/environment-setup-powerpc-linux
$ powerpc-gcc helloworld.c

View solution in original post

21 Replies
sinanakman
Senior Contributor III

Hi Daren, I use our own toolchain but I will take a look at ELDK and let you sometimes early next week.

0 Kudos
daren
Contributor II

I downloaded the following files:

• eldk-eglibc-i686-powerpc-toolchain-gmae-5.3.sh
  • powerpc.sha256
  • target.conf
  • install.sh

Then I installed them by doing the following:

$ mkdir eldk-download
$ cd eldk-download
$ mkdir -p targets/powerpc
$ wget ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/eldk/5.3/install.sh
$ cd targets/powerpc
$ wget ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/eldk/5.3/targe...pc/target.conf
$ wget ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/eldk/5.3/targe...in-gmae-5.3.sh
$ wget ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/eldk/5.3/targe...powerpc.sha256
$ sha256sum -c armv7a.sha256
eldk-eglibc-i686-powerpc-toolchain-gmae-5.3.sh: OK
target.conf: OK
$ cd ../..
$ chmod a+x install.sh
$ ./install.sh -s gmae -r - powerpc

That resulted in 'gmae' selected as the cross compiler toolchain and 'none' selected as the root file system (I'm using LimeOS on the development board).

Then I cross-compiled "Hello World" with the following:

$ source opt/eldk-5.3/powerpc/environment-setup-powerpc-linux
$ powerpc-gcc helloworld.c

yibbidy
Contributor V

Thanks for posting your solution Daren.

Regards, Shaun

0 Kudos
TICS_Fiona
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

User can download Evaluation Edition from:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=CW-MOBILEGT&fpsp=1&tab=Design_Tools_T...

It contains a 30-day license.

Sourcery CodeBench Lite Edition from MENTORGRA is also a free tool:

http://www.mentor.com/embedded-software/sourcery-tools/sourcery-codebench/editions/lite-edition/

0 Kudos
daren
Contributor II

The Evaluation Edition doesn't help me after 30 days.

Sourcery CodeBench LIte doesn't produce applications that work under a Linux.  This is from their Getting Started guide:

"Sourcery G++ Lite for Power EABI is intended for developers working on embedded applications or firmware for boards without an operating system, or that run an RTOS or boot loader. This Sourcery G++ configuration is not intended for Linux or uClinux kernel or application development."

The application I would like to test requires a basic Linux environment.  LimeOS would have been fine (even if it is slow) if I could have installed build tools on it.

0 Kudos
daren
Contributor II

Maybe it would be helpful to be more clear with my goal:

I have an application that runs on a Little Endian x86 processor under Linux.  I would like to run it on a Big Endian processor with Linux installed so that I can verify compatibility.  That was the reason for buying the TWR-MPC5125.  In fact, the TWR-MPC5125 comes with LimeOS pre-installed, which would be fine for my application if I could just install build tools on it or cross compile for it.  The first thing I did with LimeOS was type "sudo apt-get install build-essential".  No such luck.

After talking with support several times, it currently sounds like I might be able to configure the LTIB MPC5121 ADS package to work on the MPC5125.  But in that case, I would presumably need to put my own version of Linux on the board and then cross-compile my application for it.  That seems more complicated than necessary. 

0 Kudos
sinanakman
Senior Contributor III

Hi Daren

If you install the toolchain chain on your host and cross compile it for e300 you should then be able to ftp that application to your TWR board that is already running Linux (LimeOS) and you will be able to test your application. You won't have to build a new kernel for that and all you need is the toolchain that you built a statically linked application. Codesourcery should have the toolchain you are looking for or you can use other free providers (e.g. ELDK from Denx)

As a side note, we are porting recent Linux kernel and will mainline it. It will be freely available.

Meanwhile, please try just cross compiling your application and run it on LimeOS.

Sinan Akman

0 Kudos
daren
Contributor II

If you install the toolchain chain on your host and cross compile it for e300 you should then be able to ftp that application to your TWR board that is already running Linux (LimeOS) and you will be able to test your application. You won't have to build a new kernel for that and all you need is the toolchain that you built a statically linked application

Right, that has been my plan from the beginning.

Codesourcery should have the toolchain you are looking for or you can use other free providers (e.g. ELDK from Denx)

Could you please provide me a direct link to such toolchain?  As I mentioned, Sourcery's CodeBench Lite is not intended for Linux Development.  I'm not familiar with any other free providers and I haven't had any luck with Freescale's downloads.

As a side note, we are porting recent Linux kernel and will mainline it. It will be freely available.

When will this be available?  Will it cover the TWR-MPC5125?

0 Kudos
sinanakman
Senior Contributor III

Hi Daren, yes it will cover TWR-MPC5125 and be ready in August. As for the toolchain, try ELDK or I can e-mail  you my toolchain.

Regards

Sinan Akman

0 Kudos
markusm
Contributor I

Hi Sinan,

any update on a recent linux kernel for the TWR-MPC5125 board ?

Regards,

Markus

0 Kudos
sinanakman
Senior Contributor III

Hi Markus, full kernel support is still not there but there is someone here

who has been working on this. I'll ask him where he stands. Do you need kernel

support or both uboot and kernel.

Regards

Sinan Akman

0 Kudos
markusm
Contributor I

Hi Sinan,

thank you, kernel would be sufficient

Regards,

Markus

0 Kudos
sinanakman
Senior Contributor III

Hi Markus, we now are scheduling more work on this

but we noticed that TWR-MPC5125 is not produced

any more and we need some more of these to do the

work. Do you have some of these boards ?

Regards

Sinan Akman

0 Kudos
kbtess
Contributor II

Hello Sinan Akman,

Sorry for posting this after a long period. But I am looking for a latest kernel version of TWR-MPC5125 ? Do you have some updates ?

0 Kudos
markusm
Contributor I

Hi Sinan,

They don't produce the TWR Board anymore ? What a shame.

I have only one board, wich i need for testing/development.

Regards,

Markus

0 Kudos
yibbidy
Contributor V

Hi Sinan,

I've just aquired a TWR-MPC5125 system.  Is there an update on the linux kernel update that you were working on?

Regards, Shaun

0 Kudos
sinanakman
Senior Contributor III

Hi Shaun, I have been away from this for some time. I see new patches related to 5125 in the mainline so the  twr board support may not be that far. As soon as I have a bit time, I will take a look at it and let you know. What is your application by the way ?

Regards

Sinan Akman

0 Kudos
yibbidy
Contributor V

Hi Sinan,

Looking to make a customised core module for use in some future products.  Thanks for keeping an eye on this.

Regards,

Shaun

0 Kudos
albfon
Contributor II

Hello,

I would be very interested in a recent Linus kernel for this board. Is it now available?

Thank you

0 Kudos
daren
Contributor II

I'm downloading eldk-5.3-powerpc.iso and will give that a try.

0 Kudos