Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timeout error with NFC Cockpit / Reader and PNEV7642A board

Jump to solution
Nobby
Contributor II

Hello,

I use NfcCockpit v7.1.0.0 with the PNEV7642A board.
I want to use the Read/Write functionality of the NfcCockpit with an NSH3152 TAG.
For my test, I use the NFC the TAG: NSH3152 and the white card of Mifare NFC.

For my installation, I used the documentation UG10025 - NXP NFC Cockpit.
In page 36/130, I tested to send data,
But I got a Timeout error when I arrived on the forth step,
when I clicked on the button Activate Layer4.
I got the same error with the two different cards.
The full error is: "ERROR:RFProtocolTypeAService:ActivateCard() Failed HAL,IO,TIMEOUT", Or you can see in the image attached.

Can you help to resolve this error?
Can you also give some ideas in how to use NfcCockpit for reading and writing data using the NHS3152?

Thanks in advance for your help
Best Regard,
Nobby

0 Kudos
1 Solution
EduardoZamora
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

Thank you for the detailed description.

These commands and responses are defined by the corresponding standard/specification (ISO/IEC 14443 in this case).

According to NHS3152 Data Sheet, this device is ISO 14443 type A interface; NFC Forum type 2 compatible. As mentioned in Section 8.11.1, it is ISO/IEC14443A part 1 to part 3 compatible.

Regards,
Eduardo.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
EduardoZamora
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @Nobby

Hope you are doing well.

Could you please try using the latest version available of NFC Cockpit? You can find it under Downloads Section.

According to PN76 family evaluation board quick start guide, there might be some version limitations; some version combinations may not work. For more information on this, please refer to the PN76 family eval board quick start guide, Section 1.2 Firmware overview and Table 4 Firmware compatibility.

Also, please take a look at the PN76 family eval board quick start guide, Chapter 6 NFC Cockpit. There you should find the steps to install this software and how to flash PN7642 with the NFC Cockpit firmware.

Regards,
Eduardo.

0 Kudos
Nobby
Contributor II

Hello Eduardo,

Hope your are well.

Thanks for your answer.

However, since, I have read in AN13134 that it is not advised to update the firmware from 1 to 2.

So I tried not to upgrade to Cockpit 7.4.

Follwing that, I managed having NFC Cockpit 7.1.0 to work with my PNEV7642A eval board.

I first tried to read from my ISO 14443 work badge.

See below a picture showing that I could get the UID SAK once layer 3 is activated. Then I activated layer 4 and tried to send some data (just to see what would happen). All works, eventhough i dont’ understand the card response (1C). I infer it means « not working ».

Nobby_0-1708093830769.png

1st question : where to get the meaning of « card response » ? Other messages ?

Next, since for my project I have to use the NXP NHS3152 tag (compatible ISO 14443 / ultralight MyFARE/Type 2) in conjunction with the PN7642 reader, I tried doing the same as above  with the NHS3152 eval board.

The NHS3152 is indeed reconised as an IS 14443 tag. However, as the the image below shows, I cannot activate layer 4, and cannot send data to the tag. No response from the tag but error message [2024.02.16 15:04:25]:INFO:RFProtocolTypeAService: Card Exchange: 44

[2024.02.16 15:04:25]:INFO:RFProtocolTypeAService: Card Response: 

[2024.02.16 15:04:25]:ERROR:RFProtocolTypeAService:Layer3 Exchange failed with 'HAL,IO_TIMEOUT'

2nd question : why can’t I write from Cockpit to the NHS3152 tag ? I have managed to do so using an arduino and an RC522 reader.

Nobby_1-1708093830895.png

Thanks a lot

Nobby

0 Kudos
EduardoZamora
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

Thank you for the detailed description.

These commands and responses are defined by the corresponding standard/specification (ISO/IEC 14443 in this case).

According to NHS3152 Data Sheet, this device is ISO 14443 type A interface; NFC Forum type 2 compatible. As mentioned in Section 8.11.1, it is ISO/IEC14443A part 1 to part 3 compatible.

Regards,
Eduardo.