Timeout Error "HAL,IO-TIMEOUT"

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timeout Error "HAL,IO-TIMEOUT"

vincentcoli
Contributor II

I keep on having trouble trying to initialize an NTAG.

It keeps giving a timeout error, HAL,IO-TIMEOUT

RFIDDiscover is 4.9.0.0 running on Windows 10 Version 2004 for x64, connected to NXP Pegoda S

This happens with or without Layer 4 Option checked.

Any help is appreciated.

Screenshot (522).png

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Jonathan_Iglesias
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi vincentcoli,

Hope you are doing great, can you confirm that you are following this steps:

1. Connect Reader and get success status from connecting the reader
  2. put the NTAG on top of the reader
  3. send "activate Idle" command, this will activate the tag in ISO 14443-3
  4. send "Rats+PPS" this steps is only needed for NTAG 424, Mifare Plus or DESFire ( cards that support layer 4 of 14443) if you are using an NTAG 2xx  or I2C you can skip this step
  5. then you can start interacting with the NTAG

after this it should be able to perform a PWD authentication in case the tag is secured if it is not, you can start interacting with it.

BR

Jonathan

0 Kudos

Jonathan_Iglesias
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @vincentcoli ,

it is possible to use SAM with PEGODA and latest RFIDDiscover,  there should not be any issue, 

jonathaniglesia_0-1602603801750.png

jonathaniglesia_1-1602603810962.png

but for NTAG there is no point using a SAM, SAM is intended to perform cryptographic operations, focused for Mifare family,  NTAG 424 DNA, ICODE DNA and UCODE DNA. maybe the Ultralight EV1 PWDAuth can help you since UL is similar to some of the NTAG family but  before using the SAM you have to unlock it and store the keys inside,  all the topics regarding SAM are under NDA and cannot be discussed in this forum.

BR

Jonathan

vince1
Contributor II

Jonathan,

Thank you for the clarification regarding the SAM and NTAG!  I also use MiFare cards and have a SAM AV3 (or SAM AV2) installed in the Pegoda RD710 with DIP switch 1 set to On with RFIDDiscover v4.9.0.0 NDA version.

• In “New Profile”, when I select “RD71x: NXP Pegoda S CL 0 0” and retain the “Don’t use SAM” default in the second pull-down, the Reader/App works exactly as expected for NTAG 424 DNA (all NTAG) and MiFare cards (DESFire and Ultralight).
  • But if I select “RF71x: NXP Pegoda S CL 0 0” in the second pulldown (attached photo's), I cannot read any card (not even the UID) and attempting some card operations crash RFIDDiscover.

I have a SAM AV3 installed in the SAM slot, but did not unlock it and store keys inside.  Could this be my problem?

Also since these are NDA topics, are relevant documents to get started (SAM AV in Pegoda) available on the NXP DocStore?  I have an account.

Vince

0 Kudos

vincentcoli
Contributor II

Jonathan,

Thank you for your help!  I had partial success.

In the RFIDDiscover “New Profile” menu, I select Contactless Reader “RD71x: NXP Pegoda S CL 0 0” .

But I have a SAM AV3 installed in the Pegoda RD710 with DIP switch 1 set to On.

• If I select Contact Reader (for SAM) “NXP Pegoda S 0 0”, I get Fail when reading tags.
  • If I select Contact Reader (for SAM) “Don’t use SAM”, I get Success when reading tags.

Can I use the SAM AV3 (or SAM AV2) with the Pegoda and RFIDDiscover v4.9.0.0 NDA version?

Regards,

Vince

Tags (3)
0 Kudos

vince1
Contributor II

Jonathan,

Sorry, I entered this question in my other account.  The info is the same as above.

Thank you for your help!  I had partial success.

In the RFIDDiscover “New Profile” menu, I select Contactless Reader “RD71x: NXP Pegoda S CL 0 0” .

But I have a SAM AV3 installed in the Pegoda RD710 with DIP switch 1 set to On.

• If I select Contact Reader (for SAM) “NXP Pegoda S 0 0”, I get Fail when reading tags.
  • If I select Contact Reader (for SAM) “Don’t use SAM”, I get Success when reading tags.

Can I use the SAM AV3 (or SAM AV2) with the Pegoda and RFIDDiscover v4.9.0.0 NDA version?

Regards,

Vince

Tags (3)
0 Kudos