cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super capacitor with PCF2129 instead of a battery

dominusdrr
Contributor IV

Hi

I have read in the data sheet of the PCF2129 there is the possibility of using a super capacitor as an energy backup instead of a battery.

My question is:

If I use a super capacitor of 47000 uF (200 Ohms ESR), how long will the data and time be kept before a power outage?

Update

There is no information about how much current it consumes when the battery is keeping the data and the internal clock. There is data about battery leakage current that is 50 nA and supposedly the minimum battery voltage for correct clock operation is 1.8V, so the following equation may be correct:

Vc = Vo(1 -I*t/C) 

Where Vc is capacitor voltage as a function of time.

Vo is  is capacitor voltage when charged to maximum value (3.0V)

I is the currente that needs the clock and de ram on the PCF2129 (Assuming it is constant)

C is the capacity in farads and

t is the time in seconds.

Then the equation would look like this:

1.8 = 3.0(1 - 50 nA * t / 47000 uF)

The time that the capacitor can provide power to the RTCC is 376000 seconds

Tags (2)
2 Replies

dominusdrr
Contributor IV

If it is in the interest of someone, I have performed tests with the 47000 uF capacitor and the data retention is approximately 16 hours.

0 Kudos

reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

In order to provide backup power to applications like RTC and volatile memory a special type of capacitor (supercap) was developed which combines a high capacitance, lowleakage and relatively small dimensions. Common values are a few mF up to 1 Farad.

Please refer to the UM10301 (Chapter 13.3 “Capacitors”) with a detailed description on the super capacitors used for RTC application, and how to calculate the charging and discharging times: https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/user-guide/UM10301.pdf

Regards,

Jose

NXP Semiconductors