Suggest JTAG hw for MPC8313E-RDB

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggest JTAG hw for MPC8313E-RDB

TedMarshall
Contributor II
My company is building a board based on the MPC8313E-RDB schematic and I'll be bringing up that part of the board, need to program uboot and linux to the flash, etc.  I'd prefer, for a number of reasons, to avoid Codewarrior and stick to gdb and such.  Can anyone suggest a good, inexpensive, JTAG/COP debugger that will work with this board?

Thanks
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Wei
Contributor I

Maybe you could try this software yaJFPb (Yet Another JTAG Flash Programmer, Boundary Scan Test Sub-edition): Electronic Products & Design Service - Products & Services - Hangzhou Zhefar Technologies Co., Ltd.

0 Kudos

gm_kat
Contributor I
Hi,

Have a look at Ronetix PEEDI also (http://www.ronetix.at). Seems to be a bit cheaper than the BDI2000 solution. BTW, I think you'll need to stick to GDB(-Server), as long you aren't debugging uboot or kernel modifications.

WBR
Günther
0 Kudos

steverino2
Contributor I

not the least expensive, but IMO the best, is BDI2000.  it provides a gdb server interface to JTAG for kernel level source debugging.  I've done some driver debugging on MPC8313 using this solution and was able to root out bugs that were beyond simple printk() debugging. if you are doing driver builds, make sure you make your driver built-in (as opposed to loadable), then it will be easy to breakpoint.   even low level kernel hacking can be done this way.

0 Kudos

genuap
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
0 Kudos

TedMarshall
Contributor II
Thank you for the suggestions.  On the MacGraigor website, they do not list the 8313 as a supported CPU (http://www.macraigor.com/cpus.htm).  Are you sure their product will work?

Also, since the Freescale-supplied BSP does not seem to include gdb (understandable since it's intended to be used with Codewarrior), can you suggest a source for an 8313-compatible gdb.

Sorry if these are very basic questions.  I have expereince using wigglers on embedded boards (ARM7) but have never had to set it up from scratch.

Thanks again.
0 Kudos