Set charging power limit on Qi charger NXQ1TXH5DB1401

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set charging power limit on Qi charger NXQ1TXH5DB1401

zac
Contributor I

The datasheet gives a formulea which suggests that reducing the value of R7 should lower the smart power level limit but i'm not seeing this on the devboard.

(i changed R7 from 390k to 6k8 which i think should have changed SPL from unlimited (2A) down to around 500mA but didnt.)

Any ideas ?

Thanks, Zac

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Zac,

First off, let me explain the difference between SPR and SPL.

Static Power Reduction (SPR) sets a fixed limit on the input power: by choosing the value for R7 you can set a maximum input current. This is usefull if you know in advance that you are going to supply the wireless transmitter with an adapter that can supply a maximum current of e.g. 1.6A.

Smart Power Limiting (SPL) is also limiting the input current, but in another (smart) way: assume that you do not know which adapter you will be using so you do not know what the maximum current will be. Assume that you use an adapter that can supply a maximum current of 1A, and you connect a load that draws 1.5A, then the output voltage of the adapter will collaps, the NXQ1TXH5 will restart, the adapter voltage will rise again, and the NXQ1TXH5 will start to draw too much current again. So you have a system that is continuously starting&stopping.

If you however enable the smart power limit, then the NXQ1TXH5 will monitor the input voltage and if this voltage drops below 4.2V, then the switching frequency is increased so less power is supplied to the load effectively reducing the input current. In this way the input current of the NXQ1TXH5 charger will be regulated to about 1A, so the the charger keeps charging however not at full power. This is indicated by a blinking LED.

Note that the receiver is not receiving the power it is requesting: it gets less power and some receivers do not accept that: they go into a protection because the charger is not responsive.

The SPL can only be switched on or off, see Table 1.

If you use smart power limiting, then you do not use static power reduction.

image005.png

Best regards,

Tomas

0 Kudos

zac
Contributor I

Thanks for the reply Tomas yes it’s spr I’m trying to set, but my new R7 value didn’t seem to have any effect.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos