Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programming the JN5168 NXP Chip with a Jennic DR1048 V1.1 Sesnor Board

Jump to solution
matthew3
Contributor III

Good Morning Community,

My name is Matthew and i Have had some little PCB boards Manufactured using the JN5168 NXP Chips.

Before these i have had some PCB board Manufactured using the JN5169 NXP Chips. I have had to resort to the JN5168 Chips sue to not been able to get hold of the JN5169's. plus the new Boards that use the JN5168 have been made to 22mm Dia where as the JN5169 PCB boards are big and oblong and are not reallyu ideal for my project that i am working on. 

The problem i am having is that i cannot seem to communicate with the chip. I am using the Jennic DR1048 v1.1 Sensor Board and beyond Studio. The DR1048 Board as 40 I/O pins on it and the pins i use for the JN5169 are CTS0 pin 5, RTS0 pin6, TXD0 pin7, RXD0 pin8, Gnd pin 40, VCC pin 39, RESET pin 27 and DO1 pin 23 to cummunicate with the chip using Beyond Studio. I have used the same pins for the JN5168 but the only diffrence i can see from the JN5168 to the JN5169 is that the JN5168 chip doesnt have a  DO1 instead it has ISP_ENTRY. Is this pin used the same as DO1 on the JN5169?

Please could somebody help me and maybe point me in the right direction

Kind Regards

Matthew

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
mario_castaneda
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @matthew3,

Sure, you could take as reference the I2C example that we provide in the SDK. I am not sure if you are working with the 802.15.4 examples, unfortunately, we do not provide examples supporting this protocol, only a test example JN-AN-1255.

Regards,

Mario

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
mario_castaneda
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @matthew3,

Just to confirm, you are working with the JN5189, aren't you? or do you want to migrate to the JN5189?

However, the JN5169 has a programming pin that you have to take care of. I am not sure if you are using the module or not. Please look at the DO0 and DO1.

[3] UART programming mode: leave the pin floating high during reset to avoid entering UART programming mode or hold it low to program

Also, if you still have some issues please look at the next community

https://community.nxp.com/t5/Wireless-Connectivity/Solving-Problems-in-Reading-Flashing-JN516x-Modul...

Let me know if you still have issues with the JN5169.

Regards,

Mario

0 Kudos
matthew3
Contributor III

Hi Mario.

Sorry was ment to put JN5189 instead of JN5168. Am i right in thinking i need to use MCUExpresso software to program and code this chip or can i still use Beyond Studio?

I am also trying if possible to migrate my code that i have written for the JN5169.

Kind Regards

Matthew

0 Kudos
mario_castaneda
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @matthew3,

In this case, you will need the MCUxpresso IDE for the JN5189 MCU.

Also, you could use our tool similar to the Production flash programmer, it is included in the SDK download.

"C:\NXP\DK6ProductionFlashProgrammer\DK6Programmer.exe"

Please look at the examples that we provide, are very similar to the JN5168

JN5189 Application Notes

Regards,

Mario

0 Kudos
matthew3
Contributor III

Hi Mario,

Thank you for the link to the application notes. Can i still use the Jennic DR1048 V1.1 Module board with the JN5189 Chip to program it and attach prototype boards that have different sensors on them or do i need a different one i.e DK6?

Thanks

Matt

0 Kudos
mario_castaneda
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @matthew3,

At the end, the JN5189 is waiting for the UART commands, if the PC detects as a COM port, you could use it to program the boards. However, you could use a USB to serial to program the MCU.

Regards,

Mario

0 Kudos
matthew3
Contributor III

Hi Mario,

Managed to program the JN5189 with a demo Application using the DK6 Flash programmer.

Is it possible to migrate the Code we have written for the JN5169 to the JN5189, or is it a complete start from the Ground up from beyond studio to MCUxpresso.

Kind Reagrds

Matthew

0 Kudos
mario_castaneda
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @matthew3,

The examples that we provide are very similar to the JN5169, the migration is very simple.

For example, if you are working with the JN-AN-1217 Base device, we have the JN0AN-1243 for the JN5189 that is a base device too.

Regards,

Mario

0 Kudos
matthew3
Contributor III

Hi Mario,

Thank you for all your help. I take it there is similar applications for i2c aswell as IEEE802.15.4 protocol for the JN5189?

Regards

Matt

0 Kudos
mario_castaneda
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @matthew3,

Sure, you could take as reference the I2C example that we provide in the SDK. I am not sure if you are working with the 802.15.4 examples, unfortunately, we do not provide examples supporting this protocol, only a test example JN-AN-1255.

Regards,

Mario

0 Kudos