cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance measurement using oprofile on MPC5200 embedded platform

jkoshi
Contributor I
Hi,
I'm trying to get Oprofile to work on an embedded system (Freescale MPC5200, and
Linux release tag ltib-mpc5200-20051213). I added the following to the config file:
    CONFIG_PROFILING=y
    CONFIG_OPROFILE=y
and enabled the following:
    CONFIG_PKG_OPROFILE=y
On the first build, I got dependency errors, so I added the binutils and popt pkgs to
the config file.
Thereafter, it built correctly, but when the image is transferred to the target, and I
run any opcontrol command (for example: opcontrol --no-vmlinux), I get:
    FATAL: Module oprofile not found.
    FATAL: Module oprofile not found.
    Kernel doesn't support oprofile.
When I do an lsmod | grep oprof, oprofile doesn't show up.
In /usr/bin, I have op_help, opannotate, oparchive, opcontrol, opgprof, opreport,
oprofiled, and opstack. The directory /usr/share/oprofile is present, with all the arch
subdirs. Also, the docs are present in /usr/share/oprofile.
I got the same result building with CONFIG_OPROFILE=m.
Any idea why this is happening? To me it looks like the driver is not being built and
included correctly.
One caveat to our build method is that we specify the device directories during the
image build, by "mknod dev/watchdog c 10 130", etc., in the rootfs of the image that
gets installed on the target, and so udevd is not enabled on the target. Do I need to
add an entry for oprofile? Will building as a kernel module not work in this case, ie:
with CONFIG_OPROFILE=y?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
regards,
John

0 Kudos
2 Replies

fsl_linux_spt
Contributor III

The bsp from 2005 that you are using is really old.  The latest Lite5200B bsp is from 2007. 

I just installed the latest bsp for the 5200B.  It is two years newer than the one the customer is using.  I compiled oprofile as module and the module is in the rootfs.  You should switch to the newer bsp which he can get here. http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/overview.jsp?nodeId=0127260061033202A5621E

0 Kudos

mjlear
Contributor I

Did you have any luck with this?

I'm trying to get oprofile working on my mcf54455 evaluation board. Like you, my kernel seems to be missing options to allow profiling features to be built in...

0 Kudos