cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PTN3460IBS PWM output frequency

stephenpape
Contributor I

Hi,

I am using a PTN3460IBS with a Q7 system on module equipped with an Intel E3845 to provide two display outputs. The primary display is connected to the dual LVDS interface of the Q7 module (sourced from an ANX1122 eDP to LVDS bridge). The second display is connected to via the PTN3460IBS configured as a dual LVDS interface. The PTN3460IBS is configured as master mode with the EDID and configuration in external EEPROM. We initially failed to get the backlight on as there was no PWM output from the PTN3460IBS. The PWM bitcount at address 0x8F was set to 0x0A and PWM frequency at address 0x92 to 0x02 to obtain a PWM frequency of approximately 13kHz. With byte locations 0x8F, 0x92 changed back to 0x0C and 0x1E as per AN11128 we generated a PWM signal of around 220Hz and after some flickering managed to drive the display briefly.

The backlight driver board we are using requires a DC signal for operation so we are using a low pass filter to derive the signal from the PWM output. The low pass filter has a 3dB cutoff of around 80Hz so we are seeing quite a bit of ripple on the backlight control signal. Can you provide guidance as to the limits of the PWM output frequency ? Is there a more detailed description of the PTN3460IBS registers other than AN11128 ? I would like to understand how to configure the device correctly to achieve the optimum solution.

Regards,

Steve Pape

0 Kudos
2 Replies

TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Steve,

PTN3460IBS PWM output frequency registers (0x8F and 0x92) were designed as defined in eDP V1.3 specification.

Please download eDP V1.3 specification (see below figure for reference) from VESA.org for the detailed explanations. The DP specification is only for VESA members, so I cannot post it here.

Picture 1.png

Best regards,

Tomas

PS: If this answer helps to solve your question, please mark it as "Correct" or “Helpful”. Thank you.

stephenpape
Contributor I

Hi Tomas,

Thank you for the information. I have managed to get the PWM working correctly. The register description of EDP_PWMGEN_BIT_COUNT led to the solution. We had a PWM value of 0x07FF in bytes 0x90-91 which is 50% for a count value of 12 but 100% for a count value of 10. Keeping a count value of 12 ( Byte 0x8f = 0x0c) and changing the default frequency to 1 ( Byte 0x92 = 0x01) resulted in a PWM frequency of 6.59kHz which iresults in a clean dc control signal after the low pass filter.

Regards,

Steve

0 Kudos