PTN3392 at the negative temperature

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PTN3392 at the negative temperature

vlads
Contributor I

PTN3392 has operating temperature range defined as 0 to 85 and the storage temperature range is -65  + 150 . Will that IC work at the negative temperature?

Did somebody have experience with PTN3392 at the negative temperature?

0 Kudos
2 Replies

TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Vlad,

PTN3392 operating temperature is based on ambient temperature surrounding PTN3392, so if PTN3392 is inside a case or chassis, then the temperature inside case or chassis (temperature surrounding PTN3392) will be higher than temperature outside case or chassis (PTN3992 will emit some heat inside case or chassis also while it’s operating).

So PTN3392 could be operating in negative room temperature (temperature outside case or chassis), but I do not have number for it for sure and my best guess would be around -5C to -10C.

Best regards,

Tomas

0 Kudos

vlads
Contributor I

HI Tomas,

Thank you for the answer. I agree with you and hope it should work at low negative temperatures.

Many times I met cases when a device should not work at negative temperatures because of temperature limitations of the IC components, however, it worked at highly negative temperatures. I tested a single board computer that had to work at ambient temperature range -10C +60. It successfully started and worked after being over 30 min at -40C. Several IC components of that SBC should not work below zero according to their data sheets. 

I would like to ask a more general question. I would assume different IC manufacturing technologies are more or less similar. Please correct me if I am wrong. Why some ICs are declared to be able to work at -40C, but other similar ICs from the same manufacturer are not?

0 Kudos