cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCF85263AT Design with a higher VBAT than VDD

raja11
Contributor I

Hi,

We are planning to use PCF85263AT in our design for RTC and Watchdog Reset Out features. We have connected VDD to 1.8V supply and the I2C SCL and SDA lines are also pulled up to 1.8V supply. We have connected the VBAT to a 3V battery supply. As per datasheet, we understand that all supplies are within range. Also, as default battery power switch-over threshold is 1.5V, there should not be any issue with a higher voltage battery. Can you please confirm, if this scheme is fine or do you see any issues with this?

Regards,

Raja

0 Kudos
3 Replies

reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Raja,

It is true that you are within the operational voltage ranges for VDD and VBAT according to the datasheet, but I’m worried about the embedded Battery Switch Mode functionality for this device. Please check Section 8.11 of the datasheet: http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/PCF85263A.pdf

Due to this functionality, you may be working all the time in battery mode since VBAT is higher than VDD and when this happens, the VDD power domain is disabled. This means that I2C pins are ignored, CLK output is disabled and Hi-Z, TS pin output mode is disabled and Hi-Z, TS digital input is ignored and may be left floating. TS pin mechanical switch detector is active. INTA output is still active for interrupt output and battery switch indication, but disabled for clock output.

There is a way to disable this functionality (by setting BSOFF bit to “1”, however to do this, VDD and VBAT should be connected together, so, it not useful for your case.

However, there is a case where it would work with your voltage configuration, by setting BMS[1:0] to 00 (Switching at the Vth level) and setting the threshold Vth level LOW (1.5V) setting BSTH bit to “0”.

In this case, VDD would be higher than Vth, letting it work from VDD and permit I2C communication.

Have a great day,
Jose

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

raja11
Contributor I

Dear Jose,

Yes, As pointed by you in last paragraph, we had designed based on same.

 The BSOFF: battery switch on/off control is set to 0 by default, which enables battery switch feature.
 The BSM[1:0]: battery switch mode is set to 00 by default, which selects VDD supply, when VDD is higher than Vth, otherwise VBAT supply.
 The BSTH: threshold voltage control is set to 0 by default, which selects Vth as 1.5V.
 Based on the above values of BSOFF, BSM and BSTH, the selected VDD value of 1.8V and VBAT value of 3V in this design would work by default.

Hence, I understand that there should not be any issues. Please confirm.

0 Kudos

reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Raja,

Correct, with the mentioned configuration, there should not be any issues.

Have a great day,
Jose

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos