cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCA9507 parts in series connection

Alex32
Contributor I

Hello,

I want to connect two PCA9507 parts in series in two boards.

I can see in the datasheet that it shows an example and is showing, that the master is connected to the A side, then the B side is connected to the next one at the A side.

Is it possible to connect the B side of the first part to the B side of the next part on series?

Thanks,

Alexandros

0 Kudos
3 Replies

EricC5
Contributor I

If only 2 PCA9507s are used at the end of the Master and Slave I2C cable. Is it recommended to connect Port-A to Port-A or Port-A to Port-B

0 Kudos

diazmarin09
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Alexandros,

I hope all is great with you.

The typical series application is shown below:

diazmarin09_0-1657823933991.png

Multiple PCA9507s can be connected in series as long as port A is connected to port B. So, I do not recommend to connect B side with B side.

I hope this information helps.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos

EricC5
Contributor I

I completely understand that port-B should not be connected to Port-B.

My question deals with driving I2C over a cable. Your data sheet says in section 6: 

The device contains a rise time accelerator on port A
that enables the device to drive a long cable or a heavier capacitive load for DDC, I2C-bus
and SMBus applications.

There are just two PCA9507s in the system and the RED arrows as you show in your diagram essentially represents the cable portion on the configuration. So it seems that the master should drive the cable out though Port-A. Therefore, the question to be clearer is... Should Port-A on the Master side be connected to Port-A on the slave side or should the master Port-A connect to Port-B on the slave side?   

0 Kudos