Make error 87/206 when trying to build projects in MCUXpresso IDE

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make error 87/206 when trying to build projects in MCUXpresso IDE

MISO_27
Contributor II

I am using MCUXpresso IDE v11.4.1 [Build 6260] [2021-09-15].

When trying to build relatively big projects, the process fails at the linker call and returns error 87 or 206 (see screenshots below). This problem didn’t always occur; only after more files were added. According to this post about the problem occurring when trying to build big archives, the windows command line length limitation triggers these errors.

However the proposed solutions like switching the OS or shortening the project path are not an option for us.

Using a manual makefile might be a temporary workaround, but ideally we’re looking for an automated solution.

Can anybody elaborate further on this problem or propose a different solution for shortening the linker call?

0 Kudos
5 Replies

nxf77486
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @MISO_27 ,

The solution would be as you mentioned before as a temporary solution will be a manual makefile.

But when I refer to the lpcxpresso is on the post the solution that said the following :

But assuming that isn't a route that you can follow, I think that there should be a fairly straightforward way of avoiding the issue you are having. Basically you are runnning into an issue because the Eclipse/CDT engine generates an explicit reference to each object file inside your project. And the number of files then explicitly listed causes a command line length issue as already described.

But you should be able to avoid this by modifying the command used to invoke the archiver (arm-none-eabi-ar) utility used to build your library.

0 Kudos

MISO_27
Contributor II

Thanks again for your reply @nxf77486 .

This sounds like the kind of solution we are looking for.

I have two questions remaining:

1. Are you aware that the error is occurring at the linker call ("arm-none-eabi-gcc -nostdlib -L") not at the archiver call (in fact there is no archiver call as we are not trying to build an archive). 

2. If that is the case, can you please explain in more detail (or link to a resource doing so) how we can modify the linker call to avoid the error.

0 Kudos

nxf77486
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Ok in this case as it is recommended an mentioned by you the best solution is to use a make file.

Tutorial: Makefile Projects with Eclipse | MCU on Eclipse  

0 Kudos

nxf77486
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @MISO_27 ,

The solution presented on the post  you mentioned before is what we normally recommend for this type of situations is the lpcxpresso solution as you have the switching OS or shortening project path problems for your project.

0 Kudos

MISO_27
Contributor II

Thank you for your reply @nxf77486 .

However after revisiting the post I am unsure what you are referencing as "the lpcxpresso solution"...

Can you please clarify?

0 Kudos