Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MP3V5050VC non-destructive pressure range

jaroslavbrazdil
Contributor I

Hi everybody,

I have some problem with #MP3V5050VC and I need to know

What is the maximum non-destructive pressure range. 

I attach details from the datasheet.

There is Operating Pressure range -50  to  0 kPa (P1>P2)

and at the Maximum ratings for (P1>P2)  Pmax is 200 kPa.

What that mean? The #MP3V5050VC is designed for mesuring vacuum to -50kPa. (The P1<P2, so the value is negative).

The value of Pmax is positive 200kPa in the datasheet. 

Is this an error and should it be -200kPa? Or is a positive overpressure of 200kPa actually allowed?
And what is the other maximum value ?

Ideally I would like to know : The maximum non-destructive pressure range Pmax is  -xxx kPa  / +yyy kPa for (P1>P2).

We have a problem with defective pieces and we found that in the machine, out of the measurement time area, the positive pressure of about 50kPa appears on the sensor. We are trying to find out if this could be the cause of our problem.

Thank you.

Jaroslav Brazdil

0 Kudos
5 Replies

JozefKozon
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Jaroslav,

I have some problem with #MP3V5050VC and I need to know

What is the maximum non-destructive pressure range. 

I attach details from the datasheet.

There is Operating Pressure range -50  to  0 kPa (P1>P2)

and at the Maximum ratings for (P1>P2)  Pmax is 200 kPa.

What that mean? The #MP3V5050VC is designed for mesuring vacuum to -50kPa. (The P1<P2, so the value is negative).

The value of Pmax is positive 200kPa in the datasheet. 

Is this an error and should it be -200kPa? Or is a positive overpressure of 200kPa actually allowed?
And what is the other maximum value ?

Ideally I would like to know : The maximum non-destructive pressure range Pmax is  -xxx kPa  / +yyy kPa for (P1>P2).

[A] Yes, the 200kPa value in the Table 2. should definitely negative. The responsible team has just probably copied it from the MP3V5050 positive pressure sensors datasheet. I apologize for the mistake.

The maximum non-destructive pressure range for (P1>P2) is Pmax is  -200kPa  / +0kPa

JozefKozon_0-1707911491759.png

With Best Regards,

Jozef

0 Kudos

jaroslavbrazdil
Contributor I

Hi Jozef

Thank you for your reply.
It is as I feared.
Let me ask you one more question, please,

The Operating Pressure range  is -50  to  0 kPa (P1>P2).  Top is 0kPa.

The maximum non-destructive pressure is also  +0kPa ?

Isn't there any safety reserve?

It looks that we have a problem.

Is there a similar sensor in your portfolio with a safe range about  -100 / +100 kPa?
The operating range sufficient for us  is  -50  / 0kPa.
Can you recommend some?

Thank You

Best regards

Jaroslav.

0 Kudos

jaroslavbrazdil
Contributor I

Hi again.

I have a small comment to add to my response yesterday.
Apart from the sign, isn't the 200kPa value also wrong?

How do we reach an atmospheric pressure of -200kPa on earth ?

Best regards

Jaroslav

0 Kudos

JozefKozon
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Jaroslav,

please see below a reply from the application engineer. You can use the MPXV7025 safely for the +/-100kPa. But it will measure only up to +/-25kPa. Unfortunately this is the closest solution we can offer you. I apologize for inconvenience. 

DESCRIPTION

Our MEMS designer confirmed that the part should be safe to operate at the customer-stated conditions. -100 / +100 kPa.

With Best Regards,

Jozef

0 Kudos

JozefKozon
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Jaroslav,

the MPXV5050V is actually differential type. Theoretically you can apply pressure to both ports and the difference between them is meant as burst pressure. 

JozefKozon_0-1708082600419.png

But since the MPXV5050V is in a package with only one port prepared for hose application, then it is gauge type.

JozefKozon_2-1708082842496.png

The second port works only as a reference, where the atmospheric pressure is the reference. Or you can put it in high pressure environment as a reference and apply lower pressure to the port. But for example in this package, 

JozefKozon_1-1708082822535.png

both ports are outside for hose application. You can leave one port open for atmospheric pressure as a reference or you can apply your own pressure as a reference. 

So you can say (P1>P2) is Pmax is -200kPa or (P1<P2) is Pmax is 200kPa for the MPXV5050V.

With the description above, you can use any of our differential pressure sensors as vacuum type. You can leave the port1 open for atmospheric pressure as a reference and apply negative pressure in the port2 P1>P2. But the burst pressure will be again P1>P2 only higher, than measuring pressure.

We have some pressure sensors, which can measure positive and negative pressure. E.g. MPXV7025GC6U.  But I am not sure if their burst pressure is also positive and negative. I have contacted an application engineer to confirm their burst pressure. Please check this link four our sensors portfolio.

JozefKozon_3-1708084904526.png

With Best Regards,

Jozef

0 Kudos