KE02 is alleged to run out of RAM. How can I see remaining RAM?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KE02 is alleged to run out of RAM. How can I see remaining RAM?

juanignaciotroi
Contributor III

Hello,

My KE02 is unpredictably reseting and I suspect that this is probably due to RAM overflow. 

Is there a C command or register of the MCU that would tell me the remaining (or used) RAM memory? With that, I could track better with what operation could be related this memory leak. 

If there is not such thing, what would you recommend to identify this problem?

Thanks

Juan

0 Kudos
1 Reply

diego_charles
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @juanignaciotroi 

I hope you are doing well, I am sorry for the late response.

There are several ways in that the MCU goes into reset state as mentioned in the section 6.2 Reset of  the KE02 Sub-Family reference manual. Specifically you could try to track the actual source of reset from the SIM_SRSID register, just after the reset event just happened.

Following your idea, Indeed the KE02 comes with very few SRAM ( 4 KB for some parts), so a stack overflow seems very likely to happen if there is bad handling from the SW or demanding functions like semihost' printf .

To monitor stack usage during run time:

As mentioned in this post , there is a suggestion to read the internal stack point register of the processor Monitoring Stack Size - NXP Community

Other thing, it would be to set a data watchpoint of to the SRAM region that corresponds to the limit of the stack. How to use Watchpoints - NXP Community This applies also for MCUXpresso IDE (if you are using it.)

I think that this post from Erich Styger's is useful discussing  this topic (he also mentions static stack analysis) Stack Canaries with GCC: Checking for Stack Overflow at Runtime | MCU on Eclipse

If you are not able to catch the problem , I would also recommend you to check for any hardware/electrical issue , in the case you have a custom board.

I hope, this could help you, many thanks for your patience. 

Diego

0 Kudos