Is it possible to read/write protect NFC tag and read with phone app?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to read/write protect NFC tag and read with phone app?

dschwan22
Contributor I

Hello,

I'm working on a project for my business and am wondering if it's possible and if so what NXP product would be the best fit. Basically i want to store cryptocurrency wallet seeds on NFC tags, so not a lot of data but they will need to be stored for many years. Because they will be seeds to wallets that contain important info they will need to be read and write protected to never be rewritten. I will have a phone app to be used on androids and iphone that will store the read passwords so the app can access the seeds. It's important that the password can never be cracked and the tags cannot be read or accessed by anyone outside the app. Is this possible wiht any NFC tags? Do phones have this capability built into their current NFC readers? Are there any concerns i haven't addressed? 

Thank you in advance for the help!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

danielchen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @dschwan22 :

I would suggest you use NTAG 424 DNA TagTamper.  Data retention is 50 years.

Features:

• NFC interoperability: ISO/IEC 14443-A communication, NFC Forum Type 4 Tag
  • 416 bytes memory organized in an ISO/IEC 7816-4 file system: 32 bytes capability container, 256 bytes NDEF file, and a 128 bytes protected data file
  • Common Criteria® EAL4 certification for hardware & software
  • Standard AES-128 cryptography for authentication/secure messaging, or LRP wrapped AES operation for even stronger attack resistance
  • SUN message authentication for advanced data protection within standard NDEF read operation
  • 3-pass mutual authentication to access the protected data file
  • Protected communication on a contactless air interface
  • ECC-based NXP® originality signature and AES-128 based NXP originality check for assurance of tag origin
  • Random ID and encrypted UID for enhanced privacy protection
  • On-chip assembly of item URLs with flexible ASCII mirrors
  • Attack resistant hardware
  • Ultra-fast communication (up to 848 Kbits/s), benchmark authentication time
  • High input capacitance (50 pF) for compact antenna design

NTAG 424 DNA TagTamper includes all of the above features plus:

• Tamper loop for once-opened and current-status detection (NTAG 424 DNA TagTamper)

Please refer to below link for more details.

https://www.nxp.com/products/rfid-nfc/nfc-hf/ntag-for-tags-labels/ntag-424-dna-424-dna-tagtamper-adv...

Regards

Daniel

0 Kudos