Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Power Amplifier design requirement band 1.5MHz to 30MHz

Jump to solution
RA_RA
Contributor II

Hi all,

My project requirement is to design and develop a High power Amplifier module in HF band (1.5Mhz to 30MHz).

The desired P1dB of the module is 150Watt .Considering the losses due to isolator, switch and filters we have decided to select a transistor with nearly 300W output.

From nxp website , I have found following suitable devices:

1. MRFE6VP6300HR5/HR3

2. MMRF1310HSR5

2. MRF6VP5300NR1

All of these devices have operating frequency of 1.8MHz to 600MHz (or more) with 300W output.

Our requirements are high efficiency across the band and gain flatness.

Kindly help me in finalizing the device .

Regards,

Rajan

Labels (1)
  • RF

1 Solution
LPP
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

My suggestion is to use MRFE6VP5300NR1. MRFE6VP6300H is very similar and can be used as well (though it uses ceramic package).

MRFE6VP5300NR1 is a dual Lateral MOSFETs device suitable for push-pull amplifier, 15 year longevity program, extreme Ruggedness >65:1 VSWR, plastic mold package.

Benefits of plastic over ceramic:
–Lower thermal resistance thermal resistance (30%), enabling smaller heat sink heat sink or better reliability
–Tighter dimensional tolerance, enabling assembly automation
–Same thermal expansion (copper on copper), enabling better reliability (no CTE mismatch at solder joint)
–Tin-plated instead of gold-platted: more reliable soldering
–Over-molded instead of air-cavity: enables washing the board after assembly

NXP offer 87.5–108 MHz broadband reference circuit for MRFE6VP5300NR1 but we have no a proven MRFE6VP5300NR1 design for 1.8-30MHz.

ADS and AWR models are provided. So, you would not have problem to simulate design for desired frequency range.

Possible driver for MRFE6VP5300NR1 is AFIC901N (1.8-1000MHz, 30dB, 30dBm, 7.5V.
http://cache.nxp.com/assets/documents/data/en/data-sheets/AFIC901N.pdf

Have a great day,
Pavel

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RA_RA
Contributor II

Hello Pavel,

Thanks for sharing useful information.

Package of Device MRFE6VP5300NR1 is like flange less type.

What is the standard procedure (steps) to mount such packages on the board?

I will download the device models and will simulate it for 1.8Mhz to 30MHz.

Thanks & Regards,

Rajan

0 Kudos
LPP
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

My suggestion is to use MRFE6VP5300NR1. MRFE6VP6300H is very similar and can be used as well (though it uses ceramic package).

MRFE6VP5300NR1 is a dual Lateral MOSFETs device suitable for push-pull amplifier, 15 year longevity program, extreme Ruggedness >65:1 VSWR, plastic mold package.

Benefits of plastic over ceramic:
–Lower thermal resistance thermal resistance (30%), enabling smaller heat sink heat sink or better reliability
–Tighter dimensional tolerance, enabling assembly automation
–Same thermal expansion (copper on copper), enabling better reliability (no CTE mismatch at solder joint)
–Tin-plated instead of gold-platted: more reliable soldering
–Over-molded instead of air-cavity: enables washing the board after assembly

NXP offer 87.5–108 MHz broadband reference circuit for MRFE6VP5300NR1 but we have no a proven MRFE6VP5300NR1 design for 1.8-30MHz.

ADS and AWR models are provided. So, you would not have problem to simulate design for desired frequency range.

Possible driver for MRFE6VP5300NR1 is AFIC901N (1.8-1000MHz, 30dB, 30dBm, 7.5V.
http://cache.nxp.com/assets/documents/data/en/data-sheets/AFIC901N.pdf

Have a great day,
Pavel

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!