Calculating Base Spreading Resistance from NF Data

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculating Base Spreading Resistance from NF Data

spflanze
Contributor I

I am attempting to calculate the base spreading resistance from noise specifications for the BFT25A bjt:

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/BFT25A.pdf 

The NF specification is for noise power, which means if I convert dB to a ratio, and multiply that ratio by 4kT where k is Boltzmann's Constant and T is temperature in Kelvin I should get an output noise power density. I expect that T should be the 25C given for the NF spec on page 3 of the spec PDF.

Now I need to apply that noise density output to Equation 4.5 on page 2 of:

https://leachlegacy.ece.gatech.edu/ece6416/Labs/exp04.pdf

I expect that the value of R_F that should be used in equation 4.4 should be the load used to make the output noise power measurement in the specification. But this is not given. Should this value be 50 ohms?

I need the base spreading resistance to make noise calculations that are specific to the circuit I am designing the BFT25A into.

0 Kudos
2 Replies

LPP
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Datasheet noise figures are provided at optimal source impedance. Optimal impedance is provided in the datasheet Table 8 as Gamma_opt.

In your case, formula 4.5 is provided for connection with grounded base and it is not relevant for datasheet NF measurement condition.

You can do the similar calculations for the datasheet conditions but you must use more complete expression for noise that includes the noise of the source. Please, refer to expression <A>(38) from the document below. It differs from (4.3) provided in your document:

<A> ftp://ftp.dii.unisi.it/pub/users/vignoli/old/elettronicaiii/low_noise.pdf

>the value of R_F...

R_F value does not matter. In the expression (4.3), you can divide by R_F^2 to get mean-square output current.

It is more reasonable to convert expression to equivalent input noise and it will not depend on the collector load. Expression <A>(41) will provide this value. Vni^2 is propotional to noise power. So all you need to obtain noise figure is to divide this expression by input noise 4kTR1*dF.

NF = 10 log [(1+rx/R1)] // if R1 is optimal source resistance at optimal collector current.

Have a great day,
Pavel
NXP TIC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

spflanze
Contributor I

To match your noise measurement setup would R2 in equations 38 and 39 on page 10

ftp://ftp.dii.unisi.it/pub/users/vignoli/old/elettronicaiii/low_noise.pdf

be set to zero?

What is Rn in the Rn/50 column in Tables 8 and 9 on page 7 of:

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/BFT25A.pdf

?

How is a reflection coefficient given in these two tables converted to the value of R1 which is the resistive element in your tuning network? Does the transistor’s hybrid pi parameters c_pi, r_pi, and g_pi figure in to this conversion?

That Smith chat indicates and output impedance of 50 ohms. Is 50 ohms also the characteristic impedance of the transmission line that feeds the tuning network?

0 Kudos