cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLRC663: Long range reader up to 50cm

shai_b
Senior Contributor II

Hello Team,

My customer is developing an NFC label tag reader and plans to use NXP CLRC663 as a high power reader and tags from type2 or type5 (ICODE).
They need to achieve at least 40-50 cm range with our NFC reader (CLRC663 or PN5180), could you please suggest a recommended solution with and antenna design in which they can achieve such a distance (for example I know the impedance should be close to 20ohm in order to transmit the max power on the CLRC663)?

second question: how many tags can be read per sec in a scenario of a small box for example 60x60x60cm to count up to 100 tags inside that box.

If there is a reference design it would be great.

Besides that, is it possible to put multiple readers inside one Box to reads faster and more tags?

Waiting for your kind response, Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Shai  

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies

rudraxx
Contributor I

0 Kudos

Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @shai_b ,

I am sorry, but we don't have such kind of antenna reference design, and as far as I know, CLRC663 plus with right antenna may reach up to 30cm or so. 

how many tags can be read per sec in a scenario of a small box for example 60x60x60cm to count up to 100 tags inside that box.

-Actually it depends on how the host controller handles with the tag and how fast it can take.

is it possible to put multiple readers inside one Box to reads faster and more tags?

- No , it is not possible as it might cause interference from each other.

Have a great day,
Kan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!
- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos

amighri
Contributor II

Hi @Kan_Li 

you said that the CLRC633 might reach up to 30 cm. I have the PNEV5190 which is more powerful reader. how can i reach this reading range with it ? Antenna Size ? Antenna Shape ? I am trying to read the NTAG 5 which can be read from longer distance. 

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos

StefanC
Contributor I

have you already succeeded to read out the Ntag 5 in close proximity? And what are you using, e.d. OM2NTP5332? 

0 Kudos

shai_b
Senior Contributor II

Hello Kan,

Thanks for your inputs, as far as I understand ICODE is possible to reach 1.5m (according to the marketing post) using NFC-V, since the CLRC663 plus has the higher power out (1.9W) id believe it's the best candidate for their application. 

Please find below my questions on top of your reply  

Q0 [Shai] Dose CLRC663 compatible with an external amplifier to gain more TX power? if yes, there is a reference design available? 

- [KAN] Actually it depends on how the host controller handles with the tag and how fast it can take.

Q1 [Shai] can you please recommend a strong MCU to be the host controller that supports CLRC663 libs?  (does iMX RT 102x supports CLRC663 plus out of the box?)

- [KAN[ No , it is not possible as it might cause interference from each other.

Q2 [Shai]  since their box is 60x60x60cm could you please advise if the customer would split the box into two shelves (with a high of 30cm each) and working with one host controller so they would scan each shelve at a different time slot (to avoid collision),  could it be feasible to design?

Q3 [Shai] There is a recommend tag chipset that can provide the best RX sensitivity for long rage reading purposes?

Please advise back, your support is highly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Shai

0 Kudos

Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @shai_b ,

Please kindly refer to the following for details.

Q0 [Shai] Dose CLRC663 compatible with an external amplifier to gain more TX power? if yes, there is a reference design available? 

- [KAN] Yes, CLRC663 is compatible with an external amplifier, but we don't have such kind of  reference design available. Please also note the operating distance is not only related with TX power, but also the RX sensitivity. Longer distance may lead to weaker RX signals, For RC663, 1.65Vpp on RX pin is recommended. 

Q1 [Shai] can you please recommend a strong MCU to be the host controller that supports CLRC663 libs?  (does iMX RT 102x supports CLRC663 plus out of the box?)

- [KAN[Yes, RT1050 can work with CLRC663 and we provide an porting guide for it , please kindly refer to https://community.nxp.com/t5/NFC-Knowledge-Base/NFC-Reader-Library-Porting-to-i-MX-RT1050/ta-p/11213... for details. I think RT 102x should be able to work in the same way.

Q2 [Shai]  since their box is 60x60x60cm could you please advise if the customer would split the box into two shelves (with a high of 30cm each) and working with one host controller so they would scan each shelve at a different time slot (to avoid collision),  could it be feasible to design?

-Do you mean to make CLRC663 work with multiple antennas? If so, I think it is feasible to design, and we provide a reference design in section 3.2 of https://www.nxp.com.cn/docs/en/application-note/AN12334.pdf .

Q3 [Shai] There is a recommend tag chipset that can provide the best RX sensitivity for long rage reading purposes?

- We recommend ICODE SLIX2 , please kindly refer to https://www.nxp.com/products/rfid-nfc/nfc-hf/icode/icode-slix2-nfc-forum-type-5-tag-with-originality... for details.

Hope that helps,

Have a great day,
Kan

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!
- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

Please advise back, your support is highly appreciated.

0 Kudos

shai_b
Senior Contributor II

Hi @Kan_Li ,

Thank you so much for your inputs, the customer is learning the subject and doing some evaluation. I'll advise you in case I'll have further questions. 

Hi @lakshminarayana ,

The Customer did not check the ICODE yet since the TAG type5 is more expensive so he trying to maximize their performance while using the TAGs from type2 at this point.

Kind regards,

Shai

0 Kudos

shai_b
Senior Contributor II

Hi @Kan_Li ,

Thank you so much for your inputs, the customer is learning the subject and doing some evaluation. 

I'll advise you soon in case I'll have further questions. 

Hi @lakshminarayana ,

The Customer did not check the ICODE yet since the TAG type5 is more expensive so he trying to maximize their performance while using the TAGs from type2.

Kind regards,

Shai

0 Kudos

lakshminarayana
Contributor II

Hi @shai_b 

Have you checked the range with ICODE SLIX2 Tags?

Did it get any better?

0 Kudos