cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploading firmware / .s19 file to blank MC9S12C64 MCU

tmbryhn
Contributor I

Hi everyone!

I'm pretty new to Freescale, and have never worked with their MCU's before, but a problem that came to me gave me no choice;

I accidentally fried an MC9S12C64 MCU yesterday. I'm experienced with SMD soldering, so I have decided to remove and solder a new unit to my board:

http://no.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Freescale-Semiconductor/MC9S12C64CFAE/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsp%252bcahb6g...

I also have the firmware / .s19 file that is supposed to be loaded to the MCU, but as far as I have noticed, this is impossible to upload via ie. RS232 without a bootloader stored in the MCU memory or a BDM unit. The actual firmware /.s19 is supposed to be loaded via the RS232 through an automated .bat-file, but this won't work with a blank MCU straight off the shelf.

I recon I would start off buying a USBDM programmer. Would this one work - It seem like good value to me for a one-time repair job:

Freescale Debugger Programmer for RS08 HCS08 HCS12 Coldfire V1 BDM Isolator | eBay

Now what? I got the MCU, the USBDM and the .s19 file / complete firmware.

Where do I go from here? In the firmware.zip there is also a SerialMonitor.DEF-file that looks like this:

; $Id: S12SerMon2r1.def,v 1.4 2010-10-01 00:32:46 jsmcortina Exp $

C64:

.equ EEpromStart,     0x0000          ;eeprom start (no EEprom)

.equ EEpromEnd,       0x0000          ;eeprom End

.equ RamStart,        0x3000          ;first RAM location

.equ FlashBlks,       0x01            ;# of flash blks

.equ SectorSize,      0x0400          ;Flash sector size

.equ LowestPage,      0x3C            ;lowest page

.equ PagesBlk,        0x04            ;pages per block

Is it enough to upload this file using ie. the USBDM unit mentioned above to get the uC ready for uploading the firmware via RS232?

How do i upload using the USBDM and what software do you recommend?

I know that I might have missed out on a lot of information, but I need to start somewhere, right?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
0 Replies