Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading firmware in an old JB16 USBDM

Jump to solution
DanielO
Contributor I

Hi,

I have an old Chinese JB16 I bought years ago and never got around to using, however I tried it recently again and had some trouble - if I try and connect to a target with UsbdmScript.exe I get "No BDM Tx routine was found".

It reports firmware 4.10.2 so I thought I would upgrade it, however when I run FirmwareChanger.exe it does not like the USBDM_JB16.s19 file, nor any of the .s19 files in that directory.

The error is "Flash image is invalid. File is incorrect or corrupt?". I traced this through the code but unfortunately extra information is hidden behind a logging #ifdef which I don't believe is on and I don't know how to rebuild the code.

It does load any other firmware file, although I note those are .sx rather than .s19, obviously I can't flash those on a JB16 though

I tried a wild stab in the dark copying USBDM_JB16.s19 to USBDM_JB16.sx but it wstill rejected it.

FWIW I have tested my setup with a newer JS16 unit and it works so if it's a write off it's no big deal but if possible I would like to fix it as a spare.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi,

I was able to find an old witztronics (sp?) JB16 BDM.

This worked fine under Linux with a HCS12 target (programmer+memory dump).  I was also able to update the firmware without any problems (to V4.10.0).

Under a Windows VM I was able to use the BDM with the HCS programmer and Memory Dump but the JB16_Boot-loader failed when doing the ICP reboot - the device failed to detect as a USB device.  This was expected as described earlier.

So it doesn't look like you can upgrade under Windows.

I do not have an explanation for the JB_16 boot-loader problems with opening the firmware file.  The auto-detect work OK for me and I was able to explicitly open a suitable firmware file from the JB16 firmware directory under both windows and Linux.

The above was with the current USBDM version.

bye

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanielO
Contributor I

Hi,

I built the code under Linux and used JB16_Bootloader to flash it to both 4.10.0 and 4.10.2 but I get "Target BDM Enable failed" so I guess either the programmer is busted or incompatible.

My earlier comment about FirmwareChanger was wrong - I was confused by the error message and didn't realise it doesn't support JB16s (realised it after debugging how the s19 load process works..)

Thanks for your prompt and comprehensive reply, it has been very helpful, and thanks for maintaining the software!

0 Kudos
DanielO
Contributor I

Yeah I understand it's not supported but it does seem strange that the firmware loader can't even load the .s19 file for it - seems like a different issue.

0 Kudos
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi,

I was able to find an old witztronics (sp?) JB16 BDM.

This worked fine under Linux with a HCS12 target (programmer+memory dump).  I was also able to update the firmware without any problems (to V4.10.0).

Under a Windows VM I was able to use the BDM with the HCS programmer and Memory Dump but the JB16_Boot-loader failed when doing the ICP reboot - the device failed to detect as a USB device.  This was expected as described earlier.

So it doesn't look like you can upgrade under Windows.

I do not have an explanation for the JB_16 boot-loader problems with opening the firmware file.  The auto-detect work OK for me and I was able to explicitly open a suitable firmware file from the JB16 firmware directory under both windows and Linux.

The above was with the current USBDM version.

bye

DanielO
Contributor I

Hi, The first issue was that FirmwareUpdater.exe wouldn't load the .s19 file - it didn't even get to switching to ICP mode. I was trying it under a Windows VM (on OSX) but I'll try Linux VM and see but if I can't then in the bin it goes

0 Kudos
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi,

I'm sorry the JB16 version has been unsupported for a long while.

See comments here:

http://usbdm.sourceforge.net/USBDM_V4.12/html/index.html

Basically the bootloader that is built in to the chip doesn't meet the USB standards properly and doesn't work with Windows 7 onwards. Mind you I haven't tried it since then.

If I can find a JB16 BDM I will check this.

bye

0 Kudos