cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USBDM driver

Jump to solution
juliancox
Contributor V

I have CodeWarrior 10.7, USBDM_4_12_1_180_win and USBDM_Drivers_1_3_0_Win_x64 all on Windows 7 64-bit. With the USBDM connecter the device manager showed "Interface 0 - USBDM' and "USBDM CDC Interface" - both under " Other Devices" and both showed "No Driver Installed". After removing, installing, repairing, reinstalling the driver many times a device eventually appeared under "Debug devices" and it had a driver. I was then able to program my S08SH4 - once. After that - back to square one. Eventually I re-established the device driver and tried to do a firmware upgrade. This worked until I was instructed to "unplug the device, wait a few moments and re-connect the BDM". I then got the message that part 2 of the process had failed. Since then I am unable to load the device driver - so no USBDM.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Cox,

I just moved your question from CodeWarrior for MCU space to OSBDM and TBDML space

Thus our USBDM expert would be able to see it.

Jennie Zhang.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Julian,

Can you provide the following information so that I can suggest some things to try:

• What BDM do you actually have?  There are a range of USBDM interfaces available and it is unclear which one you are using.  In  particular, what is the chip the BDM is based on and what interfaces does it support?  What did the software identify the BDM as?  Post a picture if you are unsure.
  • If it has JS16 chip does the BDM have a boot link? If so it should be possible to load the firmware from scratch if you can identify which hardware it is.

bye

nkgavali1
Contributor II

Hello pgo,

I am using USBDM for MC9S12GA48 microcontroller for programing and debugging. I am using Windows 10 enterprise. My USBDM is based on JM16 design. USBDM is working fine with codewarrior in Win7. I can see the connection in CW5.2 in Win7.

I have installed latest drivers and USBDM in Win 10. I can program my board with HCS Programmer app available in USBDM. But, in CW5.2, I can not see the USBDM in the connection dialog list.

am I missing something?

Thanks and Regards,

Gavali N. K.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
juliancox
Contributor V

Hi pgo

Not sure of the make - it just says "freescale USBDM" on the case, but it does use a JS16 chip.

The good news is that it is now working. I tried loading the driver using the "Update Driver" from the the device driver window and selected the driver myself rather than the automatic option.

The bad news is that CodeWarrior will not select it as debug hardware. In Debug Settings I select the Connection Type  "USBDM HCS Interface" and Preferred BDM as "USBDM-JS16-SWD_SER-0001" I get the message : -

Error launching DEO_01_Issue_6_FLASH_PnE U-Multilink

There was an error parsing the memory configuration file

0 Kudos
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Julian,

It should not be necessary to select anything in the debug settings and, in fact, it's quite hard to create a debug setting from scratch since the debugger startup and memory files depend on the target

If you create a new project with the USBDM interface does the launch configuration look correct?

see USBDM: Codewarrior - Eclipse V10.x 

The error message seems to be indicating that it is looking for the wrong kind of interface and/or is missing a memory configuration file which is part of the  Target settings

pastedImage_2.png

If you try launching without the USBDM plugged in does it complain about a missing BDM?

bye

0 Kudos
juliancox
Contributor V

Just moved onto a different machine with a "clean" windows 7 installation. In the devices window it is shown as "JS16"

I downloaded the driver package "USBDMDrivers_1_3_0_Win_x64.msi" from SourceForge and ran the package.

In Device Manager, under "Hardware Debugging Interfaces" it was listed as "USBDM BDM Interface"

I created a new project named Issue_1_BDM with USBDM Interface. The Connection type is "USBDM HCS08 Interface" under "Connections | Preferred BDM" we have "Any Connected BDM " and under that window it says "Generic BDM"

When I launch Debug The message says "No suitable BDM Module Found" 

Also when I launch the HCS08 Programmer it says "No Devices Found"

At no time do I see any Comms activity (the COM light never flashes)

0 Kudos
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Julian,

I suspect the device is in in-circuit-programming (ICP) mode.

Try the following please:

• Open device manager
  • Right-click on the device and open properties
  • Select Details Tab
  • Select Device instance path
  • If it shows something like USB\VID_15A2&PID_0038\... it is in ICP mode
  • It should show something like USB\VID_16D0&PID_0567\USBDM-JS16-SWD-0001
  • If in ICP mode please reflash the firmware from scratch using the instructions here: USBDM: BDM Construction and Firmware (from the top of the page using the JS16 First stage bootloader)

Bye

pastedImage_1.pngpastedImage_2.png

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Cox,

I just moved your question from CodeWarrior for MCU space to OSBDM and TBDML space

Thus our USBDM expert would be able to see it.

Jennie Zhang.

0 Kudos