USBDM and VirtualBox => E.fatal.Register read failed

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USBDM and VirtualBox => E.fatal.Register read failed

jpa
Contributor IV

I'm still on a quest to get a working Kinetis development environment in a VirtualBox Virtual machine, preferably under Ubuntu.  Thanks to some excellent instructions, software and a video

USBDM: USBDM Debugger interface for Freescale RS08,HCS08,HCS12,Coldfire and ARM-Kinetis Devices.

I've been able to get as far as compiling the minimal application under WinXP, Ubuntu 14.04 and Ubuntu 15.04 virtual machines.  (See below for some extra steps).  But debugging still fails, displaying the following in the GDB Server window (same for both Ubuntu operating systems):

Using any suitable USBDM interface

Server created @localhost:1234

=====================================

New client connection from localhost:43588 accepted

BDM Open OK

Error response sent: E.fatal.Register read failed

Error response sent: E.fatal.Closing connection

clientSocket error

=====================

Dropped connection

The funny thing is, the ARM Flash Programmer (running in the same Virtual Machine) can see the board and program it just fine, for the most part.  (I've had a few intermittent problems, but I think that was solved by setting "Mass Erase" in the programmer).  Changing the communication speeds in the debug configuration, and/or the USB host driver settings in VirtualBox haven't seemed to help.  I _think_ I've updated the firmware in the FRDM-KL25Z to the latest.  lsusb shows bcdDevice=4.10.

I have a /dev/usbdm2, /dev/ttyUsbdm0, and a ttyACM0 that come and go when I enable/disable "pgo USBDM ARM-SWD for OpenSDA" in the VirtualBox USB devices window.

KDS 3.2.0 (amd64), SDK 1.3, and usbdm_4.12.1.70-1 (amd64).

Any suggestions to get debugging working?

Extra steps...for what it's worth, there were some unmet/broken dependencies when installing usbdm (libwxgtk and others), but the software center did a 'repair' and everything seemed to be happy after that.  Under both 14.04 and 15.04, my KDS/USBDM configuration settings wouldn't 'stick' and I couldn't import the SDK library using the wizard because of that.  After looking at the error messages (running KDS from a console), these steps fixed that:

mkdir ~/.usbdm

cd ~/.usbdm

touch UsbdmEclipseSharedSettings.xml

I also did a "sudo chown -hR myname:myname /opt/Freescale" after installing the KDS and SDK (and before installing usbdm) so I'd have write permission and not have to run KDS as sudo.  I updated eclipse and installed the SDK eclipse plugin before installing usbdm. 

0 Kudos
0 Replies