USBDM MCUXpresso

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USBDM MCUXpresso

ebee
Contributor II

Are there any plans to support the new mcuxpresso_ide in #usbdm or does it already support it?

I am currently thinking about setting up a system to test the new IDE but currently use a USBDM based debugger from with KDS.

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

ricardotrevisan
Contributor I

Hi pgo,

Could you add Kinetis to MCUXpresso (mainly KV 44) to next USBDM release?

Furthermore can you send instructions to manually add KV44 to MCUXpresso debug ability using USBDM for while?

Best Regards,

Ricardo

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Ricardo,

Assuming USBDM is already installed then the plugin for MCUExpresso can be installed as follows:

• Click Menu Help->Install New Software, Wizard dialogue will open
    • Click Add..., New dialogue will open
    • Choose a name e.g. USBDM
    • Click Local...
    • Navigate to file:/C:/Program Files (x86)/pgo/UpdateSite/ or equivalent
    • Click OK
    • Select correct item on Work with... drop-down
    • Unselect Group Items by category checkbox
    • Select USBDM Eclipse CDT Feature
    • Click Next> etc to complete the wizard

This will be roughly equivalent to what the next USBDM installer will do.

Kinetis devices will only be supported at the moment.

bye

0 Kudos

ricardotrevisan
Contributor I

Hi pgo,
At 2017 you gove to me the tip above that was very helpful.

But now I am thread over this issue again using MCUXpresso version 11.0.1_2563 installed at C:\nxp\MCUXpressoIDE_11.0.1_2563\

USBDM install can not locate MCUXpress and don't check to install plugins on MCUXpresso.

Looking in MCUExpresso.wxs file at https://github.com/podonoghue/usbdm-eclipse-makefiles-build/blob/master/PackageFiles/Wix/MCUExpresso... we can see that 11.0.1_2563 folder isn't in Directory Search section that have only MCUXpresso IDE version 10.

It seems to be easy to fix adding the new version folder to be searched but I don't know how.

Can you help me again in order to have USBDM working with MCUXpresso 11.0.1_2563?

Best Regards,

Ricardo

NEWS:
Actually I believe there is a deeper issue. I installed MCUXpresso IDE 10.3.1_2233. USBDM installer recognize MCU install and indicate that plugin will be installed, but no plugin is installed too, same as MCU V11.

Ricardo

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Ian,

I will add basic installation support for LPXpresso to the next release of USBDM but it will be of somewhat limited functionality (very restricted range of LPC devices).

You may also have to manually enable and select the installation directory as the LPXpresso installer does not record its installation directory in the registry (unlike KDS and Codewarrior).  I can only probe for 'expected locations'.

bye

0 Kudos

ricardotrevisan
Contributor I

Hi

Actually MCUXpresso is now the only official Kinetis processor. KDS has no more support from NXP.

So it is very important to have a MCUXpresso and USBDM compatibility.

I tried to install USBDM to run in MCUXpreso, using Eclipse install, and it does not  work.

If you can dedicate some time to guide us or change USBDM install your effort will be very appreciated.

thank you,

Ricardo

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ricardo,

Maybe worth to add a clarification: It is true that any new devolpment goes into MCUxpresso IDE. However, the Kinetis Design Studio and LPCXpresso IDE are still there, and still are supported. They won't get feature updates, but they are here and they can be used, probably for many years as long as Microsoft does not change things in a way that they won't run any more ;-). And personally I would not switch to a new IDE for an active product/project, but for a new project/design I would start using the MCUXpresso IDE.

I hope that makes sense,

Erich

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Ian,

I have not looked at MCUXpresso until you posted.

On installing it appears to only support LPC devices.  USBDM does not program these so it's not much use unless I find time to add these devices.

The web page for MCUXpresso indicates it is for Kinetis devices as well but I'm lost how this is done.

USBDM can be installed for MCUXpresso which allows USBDM projects and add the USBDM debugger launch as a debug option.  When installing USBDM just use one of the Eclipse options to select the MCUXpresso eclipse folder.

I'm not sure if that is of any use.

bye

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Peter,

The MCUXpresso IDE supports LPC *and* Kinetis microcontrollers (see MCUXpresso IDE: Unified Eclipse IDE for NXPs ARM Cortex-M Microcontrollers | MCU on Eclipse) through the delivery mechanism of the MCUXpresso SDK. Instead blowing up the IDE with support for thousands of LPC+Kinetis devices, the devices are added with the Kinetis SDK zip files, so only the devices I need are taking space on my disk.

The IDE supports as well the legacy LPC devices (which are supported with the LPCOpen SDK), and these come pre-installed with the IDE, that's why you proably have only seen the LPC ones. But if you add any SDK, you will see them too. See as well Video Link : 7489 

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos