Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USBDM: It will work for MKL17Z256VFM4 ?

Jump to solution
rodrigon_hernan
Contributor III

Hello there,

I'm planning to buy a USBDM but need make sure it will work for me with Kinetis MKL17Z256VFM4 chip.

I see in other posts references to arm_devices.xml file with descriptors of supported devices. I cant find MKL17 there of any type.

It will just a matter of editing that file and adding the entry for the chip? Or, is not just this simple?

Salute!

Tags (1)
1 Solution
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Rodrigo,

The MKL17 series is very similar to the MKL27 which is included so yes it should be just a matter of adding the new entries based on the existing MKL27 entries.

I do not have a MKL27 devices to test with and there appears to be some conflicting information in the Reference manual for the SDID (identification number) so this may need to be corrected when tested with an real device.

I have attached an updated device file (untested).

Make sure you purchase a USBDM with SWD interface as the MKL devices do not support JTAG.

bye

View solution in original post

5 Replies
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Rodrigo,

The MKL17 series is very similar to the MKL27 which is included so yes it should be just a matter of adding the new entries based on the existing MKL27 entries.

I do not have a MKL27 devices to test with and there appears to be some conflicting information in the Reference manual for the SDID (identification number) so this may need to be corrected when tested with an real device.

I have attached an updated device file (untested).

Make sure you purchase a USBDM with SWD interface as the MKL devices do not support JTAG.

bye

rodrigon_hernan
Contributor III

Hi pgo,

Thanks! I will go for it then and see what happens. Yeah I'm aware of SWD being the only interface for debug, but thanks for pointing it out.

Not sure if I'm looking at the file the correct way but I can find reference for the string "MK17" only at the commented line "... <!-- V4.12.1.150 - Added MK11xx, corrected MK21xx, MK17xx V4.12.1.90 .." but not anywhere else.

Using the ROM bootloader that came with MK17, using tool "blhost", for the "get-property" command for the property "0x10 The value of the Kinetis System Device Identification register." retrieves the result 0x40161D80. I suspect this is the number of interest?

Thanks,

Rodrigo

0 Kudos
rodrigon_hernan
Contributor III

My fault. Now I see the entry device name="MKL17Z256M4".

But the SDID value I get from the chip is 0x40161D80, not 0x13160D80

0 Kudos
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Rodrigo,

The number is the file is based upon the description in the Device Manual (search for SDID).

It is quite possibly wrong.

When you get your programmer please post the number reported by the stand-alone programmer and I will update accordingly.

Thanks

rodrigon_hernan
Contributor III

No luck for this time :smileysad:

If I click "Detect chip" what I get is device secured. Mass erase doesnt work and all I get using script https://community.nxp.com/thread/309895 is "illegal BDM number".

0 Kudos