USBDM FIRMWARE FOR HARDWARE NEEDED TWR-MC9S08LL/LH

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USBDM FIRMWARE FOR HARDWARE NEEDED TWR-MC9S08LL/LH

BooleanBob
Contributor IV

Hi, could somebody tell me what the correct USBDM version for this hardware is, please ?

Does it exist ? Is there a  link to the source or (better) executable S19 file ?

Thank you

Roberto

0 Kudos
4 Replies

BooleanBob
Contributor IV

Dear PGO:

First, thank you for your commitment to solve our problems and questions. I respect your work and your time.

I could make this board work using this formula with CW 6.3 using Windows 7 / 32:

I flashed the board with your USBDM 4.10.4 version USBDM_TWR_HCS08_V4.sx .
The schematic of this board is also AXIOM Manufacturing OSBDM_JM60_SCH_B.pdf (attached)
Used USBDM Drivers 4.12.3
This programmer can erase, program and debug with CW 6.3 , al LED's working
Does not work in CW 10.6 and 10.7

Also:

To better understand, I built a quick "kitchen prototype" , mix of PCB + wire wrapping with a SMD adapter for the JM60CLD
Used your USBDM hardware simplified version not using RS08 functionalities (attached).
I flashed this board with your USBDM 4.10.4 version USBDM_JMxxCLD_V4.sx
Used USBDM Drivers 4.12.3
Attached is the schematic for this prototype USBDM Simplified prototype.pdf
Works fine with CW 6.3 , does not work in CW 10.6 and 10.7

Problem: the board does not drive the VDD3V_EN and VDD5V_EN* , they remain stuck in their unasserted states and never move.
So, the only way to use this prototype is by providing external VDD_BDM. The RED LED works when VDD_Sense detects VDD_BDM but does not turn off when removed.
I changed the power supplies switching to work with PNP transistors, plus one NPN to invert VDD3V_EN . This circuit separately tested and working.

I tried to use the TLC Interpreter to "move" these signals, but I couldn't pass the openbdm command that requires a bdmnumber argument. I tried many options with no luck. My intention was to use settargetvdd <0|3|5|on|off>

As a teacher, my intention is to replace these old problematic boards that are still available in my country by a simplified version (using your original USBDM with MOSFETs) to work both with 6.3 and CW 10.6 and 10.7

The same experiments, flashing both board and prototype with your newer software and driver versions USBDM 4.12.1.100 and USBDM 4.12.1.150 do not work (to my knowledge) with CW 6.3 and CW 10.6 and 10.7.  

RED LED, VDD_Sense and power supplies driving won't work.

Perhaps some issue with these newer driver versions and Flash images ?
I hope this report can help.

Thank you
Roberto

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Roberto,

The board implements a OSBDM-JM60 BDM implementation specifically for the HCS08.  There is no USBDM version that explicitly supports that configuration.  However, since the implementation is a subset of the one on the HCS08 Universal board (TWR-S08UNIV, which, despite the name supports RS08) you can use its firmware.  It will simply report, incorrectly, that it can program RS08 devices.

Required firmware is included in an USBDM installation:

C:\Program Files (x86)\pgo\USBDM 4.12.1.160\FlashImages\Tower\USBDM_TWR_HCS08_V4.sx

To program this image you need a HCS08 programmer and need to fit connector J400.  The USBDM bootloader is different to the one used on this board so cannot be used to load the image.  :smileyhappy:

In case you have confused USDBM with OSBDM - Information about OSBDM may be found by searching for OSBDM-JM60.  I believe P&E micro provide support and images.

Try P&E Microcomputer - OSBDM .

bye

0 Kudos

BooleanBob
Contributor IV

I gathered all the information you mentioned. Then, I found a programmer board that never worked fine, with a similar hardware, using JM60. I compared to the originally posted schematics. I found 4 slight differences that I believe that I could overcome with a little extra help from you. I re-programmed this old board with the suggested C:\Program Files (x86)\pgo\USBDM 4.12.1.160\FlashImages\Tower\USBDM_TWR_HCS08_V4.sx firmware using my P&E Multilink BDM cable. This is the result I am reporting:

1. connected this board under test to USB and installed suitable drivers, OK.

2. run an edited .BAT file with ... "UsbdmFlashProgrammer -target=hcs08 cesar.s19 -device=MC9S08QE8 -trim=39.06"

3. used a suitable .S19 file for a QE8 target connected to the programmer board under test.

4. ran programming software, yellow LED is on, red LED is always off , never worked.

4. programming software stopped, complaining about communication with target problem

5. I tried to cut target VDD by using JP8 jumper and reconnect it.

6. after this, I could retry and program one and many times the same target.

7. same procedure worked wit CodeWarrior 10.6

Hardware differences I found in these signals in the JM60 chip:

pin 22 VTRG_FAULT   (no connection in TWR-S08UNIV)

pin 24 +VTRG_EN       (no connection in TWR-S08UNIV)

pin 1 TRESET_OUT    (no connection in TWR-S08UNIV)

pin 33 TRESET_IN      (no connection in TWR-S08UNIV)

I am sorry for my ignorance, but my perception is that there may be some hardware condition that is not telling the firmware that it has the suitable target VDD, so it does not turn de red LED on and also does not power cycle the target, which I did manually and worked.

I am ready to fix this by cutting some PCB trace or adding a hardwired connection, but I need your help. My guess that something very simple is missing ...

Attached the actual hardware schematics used.

Thank you for all your invaluable help.

Roberto

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Roberto,

Just a quick comment as I haven't looked at this properly yet.

What result do you get with the GUI version of the programmer?  It allows you to set the target Vdd control (if it correctly detects it).  This is a good way of checking that feature.

For the command line operation you need to add the "-vdd=vdd_value" option which does not appear in the example you gave.

The programmer options are provided here (which I expect you know).

bye

0 Kudos