Trying to install driver 4.10 under linux (SuSE 12.2)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to install driver 4.10 under linux (SuSE 12.2)

ve3id
Contributor III

I have been using the TBDML for years now, as have hundreds of my students using windows boxes.  Now I want to use it on my linux system that I use to develope in gcc.

Does anybody know how I can install the linux driver without using the graphical interface installer?  I have tried every which way to Sunday.

I have tried root and my user account both in non-graphic command line, super-user term and xterm with sudo, and always get:  

(zenity:17516) Gtk-warning""": cannot open display.

or variations thereof.

I can't understand why I need to use  a graphical interface to load a driver.

any help much appreciated

cheers,

NIgel

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

ve3id
Contributor III

I tried commenting  out the exits if no in sudo from the script, and it seems to install but misses all sorts of graphics files.

It seems that my problem is that I am using 64 bit linux. If I try a symlink in uxr/lib to the 64 bit library, I no longer get the missing files message, but it says it is incompatible because of the 64 bit library.

It seems that the only solution would be to compile on my system.  Is the source code available?  I didn't see it on Sourceforge.

regards,

Nigel Johnson

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Nigel,

I currently playing on a ubunto-64bit machine and seeing how hard it is to compile a 64-bit version.  I should release a .deb file soon if that s any use?

Source is available on

podonoghue · GitHub

0 Kudos

ve3id
Contributor III

Pogo, if you will do that I will switch to Ubuntu!   My linux guru friend recommended it to me just last week.

Since my original post, I discovered that Freescale has dropped Codewarrior support for linux, so I am mighty peeved at them and am looking at alternative manufacturers.

I have moved development and debugging to a pc using gcc in the meantime.  It is a simple program to receive strings from a modem and validate based on caller ID, but I want to update the tables using intranet on the 9S12NE64 to make a neat little package.

In the meantime I will see what I can do with the source.

thanks,

Nigel

0 Kudos

ve3id
Contributor III

Hi Pogo, do you have anything to ease my pain?  I have been trying to run codewarrior for windows under a VM in suse 12.3 but it was horribly slow, and now my computer tries to catch fire when I run it!  (graphics overheating since AMD dropped support for my GPU in its driver!)

Seems like the only way is to put a whole PC down in the  mechanical room to open the garage door, and that is against my principles when an NE64 will do!

I tried following your link above to get the sources but didn't see anything there that looked like sources.

cheers,

Nigel

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Nigel,

No real experience with trying to do this.

The latest CW that works with linux is 10.2 (I think) and I have only been able to use it with 32-bit systems in any case.

The source for the stand-alone software (programmers, GDB server etc, on Windows & Linux) is:

https://github.com/podonoghue/usbdm-eclipse-makefiles-build

There are .deb files on Sourceforge - I have no idea if these will install in SUSE?  They are NOT source files so perhaps not.

The driver install for USBDM under LInux is minimal.  For ubuntu & mint it consists of adding a rules file to /etc/udev/rules.d.

bye

0 Kudos