Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions- what about OSBDM for coldfire V2

Jump to solution
bluehacker
Contributor III

Hi all.

I notice that freescale's mcf52259EVB shipped with one JM60 version OSBDM. but I don't find any message about OSBDM for coldfire V2, except fot TBLCF. So, who developed OSBDM for coldfire V2? is it free and open source? where I can get the design? 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear bluehacker,

The latest USBDM (V1.5) has a Coldfire version USBDM/CF.  It has not had much testing (MCF5223x and MCF52210) but is equivalent in function to the TBLCF available here:

http://forums.freescale.com/freescale/board/message?board.id=CFCOMM&thread.id=624

so should support the same chips. In particular it may not work with devices that require the BDM signals to be synchronized with the PSTCLK.  Not doing this may lead to meta-stability problems apparently.  The later Coldfire devices do not nhave this requirement.

Good for hobby or class use but for commercial use I would recommend a 'real' debugger with tech support.

bye

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear bluehacker,

OSBDM for Coldfire V2,3,4 is produced by Freescale and has been used on several of their demo/development boards.  It's a pretty complete re-write of the OSBDM/TBLCF code and doesn't appear to have much in common apart from the name.  Source code is available somewhere on the Freescale site (I can't remember where I got a copy from).  AFAIK there is no stand-alone hardware design to go with it.

You might wan't to consider USBDM/CF which is available in this thread (Page 6, V1.5):

http://forums.freescale.com/freescale/board/message?board.id=OSBDM08&thread.id=511

The USBDM/CF version supports HSC12/HCS08/RS08/CFV1/CFV1,2,3  BUT has no official support from Freescale.  This was derived from OSBDM/TBLCF.

bye

0 Kudos
bluehacker
Contributor III

Dear pgo

thanks for your reply.  is USBMD now support coldfire v2~v4? are there some test on hardware platform?

0 Kudos
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear bluehacker,

The latest USBDM (V1.5) has a Coldfire version USBDM/CF.  It has not had much testing (MCF5223x and MCF52210) but is equivalent in function to the TBLCF available here:

http://forums.freescale.com/freescale/board/message?board.id=CFCOMM&thread.id=624

so should support the same chips. In particular it may not work with devices that require the BDM signals to be synchronized with the PSTCLK.  Not doing this may lead to meta-stability problems apparently.  The later Coldfire devices do not nhave this requirement.

Good for hobby or class use but for commercial use I would recommend a 'real' debugger with tech support.

bye

0 Kudos
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear bluehacker,

A correction to the above posting:

Freescale has now released OSBDM-CF as a stand-alone programmer.  See the posting in this forum.

bye

0 Kudos